Bolts at Eskdale Fisherground

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What's with the bolts at the top of Diamond Crag at Eskdale Fisherground?

In reply to climberclimber321:

They've been there for ages.  Used by the local outdoor centre.  I think there are some in the next crag up the hillside too.  I don't think most people are really that bothered.

Jim Lancs 12 Jul 2022

Placed by OB (IIRC) in the 1950s. I remember them as 1 inch construction type rawlbolts which were periodically taken out, inspected, greased and replaced.

Rick Graham 12 Jul 2022
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Placed by OB (IIRC) in the 1950s. I remember them as 1 inch construction type rawlbolts which were periodically taken out, inspected, greased and replaced.

They have been at it since then.

Early 2000s, modern bolts placed at Brantrake. Discussed at length at the local BMC meetings. OB eventually agreed that bolts to be removed. 

The bolts at the top of diamond crag are modern.

TheGeneralist 12 Jul 2022

'Ti's a great irony that Outward Bound installed and maintain the bolts as part of their drive to challenge, explore yada yada yada in nature.

I remember Pete Willance 36 years ago at Eskdale OB explaining what bolts were and how evil they were ( I'd taken one on my OB course as I was intrigued what it was)

Then off we went to Diamond Crag to top rope off bolts...

petegunn 13 Jul 2022
In reply to TheGeneralist:

I might be wrong but didn't Pete then put some bolts in the quarry down the road at Beckfoot!

Rick Graham 13 Jul 2022
In reply to petegunn:

> I might be wrong but didn't Pete then put some bolts in the quarry down the road at Beckfoot!

Pete is still prolific at new routing, both trad and sport. Good on him.

However, crucially, all his bolting is on recognised and accepted sport venues.

The convenience bolts however .....

TheGeneralist 30 Jul 2022
In reply to Rick Graham:

Ah right. So the bolts he placed ere ethical  but the ones he used aren't?

Is that right?

Hmmmm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...