BMC Third Party Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 06 May 2020

Yesterday I was out for a bike ride and loads of people were oblivious to my approach, because they had ear bud headphones in.
It got me thinking (dangerous I know) about that bloke who got sued by that woman on her phone and she won and has pretty much bankrupted him.
Therefore I have joined British Cycling £75 for 14 months for me and the missis.

But then I got thinking again, oh no;

1.  Are we covered for cycling by BMC third party, because if not road I would say that Mountain Biking could be considered under the BMC umbrella?
  2.  If someone is climbing or hill walking at the moment and injured a third party, would BMC insurance cover them at the moment?
 Neil Williams 06 May 2020
In reply to J1234:

As an aside to this, what many cyclists (or indeed people bleating about cyclists being uninsured) don't know is that many home insurance policies would cover cycling through both the third party liability clause and the legal cover clause if you have it.  Often these clauses exclude the use of motor vehicles but not other forms of road transport.  You'd have to check with your insurer, which I did ages ago when I was with Direct Line and they confirmed in writing that the clause would cover me if I damaged someone else's property/caused injury while cycling, provided I hadn't done anything glaringly stupid like cycled drunk.

I suspect this clause is only present because most people don't know about it so claims are very small.

Post edited at 13:42
 Offwidth 06 May 2020
In reply to J1234:

The BMC are open so if you are a member contact them and ask.

In reply to J1234:

And to answer your other question, as it was reasonably easy to find:

http://www.bmc-insurance-centre.co.uk/members

"As a member of the BMC, either via a club or individually, you are provided with combined liability insurance protection for your mountaineering activities. 

This includes mountaineering, climbing, scrambling, bouldering, hill walking, ski mountaineering and ski touring, canyoning, coasteering, fell and mountain running and representation on any management committee or acting as a trustee with respect to the operation of a mountaineering hut.

You are also covered for secondary activites, such as canoeing, kayaking, cycling and mountain biking if you participate in them as part of a club arranged activity."

So no cover for cycling unless it's on a club trip or similar.

J1234 06 May 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

That's interesting for a club activity, thank you.

In reply to J1234:

FWIW re insurance there's also what was the CTC which is now very confusingly called "Cycling UK".

J1234 06 May 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

That's great thanks, give  ring them and comeback when you know.

J1234 06 May 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks, that who I have joined, not British cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...