Best single rock climb on South Island, New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Markl 15 Feb 2023

South Island, New Zealand:

Best single sports climb?

Best bouldering area?

Discuss.

muppetfilter 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Castle Hill , beautiful limestone boulders with an Alpine setting.

Post edited at 14:32
 chadogrady 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Flock Hill 

In reply to Markl:

Best sport climb I did was African Head Charge (26)

And best bouldering area is definitely Flock Hill

damowilk 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Best single climb: as always, hard to decide on just one, but Wild Orange Yonder on the Sundial, in the Remarks stands out.

On searching for the route name, I see it is yet another NZ climbing area with no access anymore! Bloody antiquated land NZ access!

dr evil 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Best sports climbs are probably in Paynes Ford but lots of great stuff in Christchurch area and the Darrens as well as Queenstown and Wanaka. Best bouldering no doubt Arthur's Pass. We lived in Invercargill so frequented Colac Bay as well as some good stuff near Dunedin, Hulk Hogan and Elephant Rock.

Reid Harding 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Everyone is looking for something different in a good climb so I've given three suggestions for three different types of climbers:

Ravages of Time (20) Chinaman's Bluff: is one of the best adventure climbs I've ever touched. An old classic and well worth the walk in. 

Labours of Love (24) Long Beach: is delightful, technical and short, perfect for climbers just breaking the mid 20's

Dance of Silence (29) Castle Hill: is a gorgeous, fingery test-piece, the pinnacle of NZ slab 

Best bouldering is unquestionably Flock Hill, just like Castle Hill, but without the polish and the tourists.

AMytummy 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Hi Mark,

My girlfriend and I will be in Christchurch from the 5th - the 10th of April (2023). If you're in the area and want to team up to get to Castle/Flock Hill let me know. 

Either way, enjoy your trip!

Lhod 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Just to throw something different into the mix,  Little Babylon is pretty special. Wildly overhanging basalt set high above Milford Sound.

The rock is miles better quality than Payne's Ford, and anywhere else we climbed. 

Disclaimer: I've not done nearly enough climbing in NZ to have any sort of meaningful opinion

Derry 23 Feb 2023
In reply to Markl:

Uno, Mt Somers, grade 21.

ianstevens 23 Feb 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Second rec for this route, it's great

OP Markl 10 Mar 2023
In reply to AMytummy:

Would love to - but I'm only going in November!  Castle Hill is deffo on the list and I'mjust researching theother recommendations- thanks everyone.

buffalo606 11 Mar 2023
 damowilk 12 Mar 2023
In reply to buffalo606:

That’s the one I mentioned up thread. Unfortunately, as well as far away, the crag is also now closed to access now. A shame, as I also meant to repeat it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...