Best guide for the Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TSB 24 Jun 2019

Hi,

Which is the best rock climbing guide book to use on Ben Nevis? 
I have noticed two that are mentioned quite often:

The SMC guide (Rock and Ice climbs Ben Nevis) and the other is Scottish Rock Volume 1.

If anyone can tell me which of the two, or any other they think is a good idea, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Tony.

Andy Moles 24 Jun 2019
In reply to TSB:

If it's only for the Ben, and unless you're wanting to look beyond the classics (not many visitors do), I would actually recommend this one: https://www.smc.org.uk/publications/climbing/scottish-rock-climbs

It has by far the best topos. The comprehensive guide is pretty out of date, with illustrated black and white topos.

Scottish Rock Volume 1 covers the whole of the Highlands south of the Great Glen pretty well, so a better buy if you also want to climb elsewhere.

OP TSB 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

Thanks Andy. I went for your recommendation.

Tony.

LakesWinter 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

I thought the topos in Scottish Rock Vol 2 by Gary Latter were way way better and more useable than Scottish rock by the SMC

In reply to LakesWinter:

Andy did say "if it's only for the Ben" and I'd agree with him on this: the topo with Gary's guide is surprisingly small considering the crag's grandeur. It gets a much larger two-page spread within the SMC guide.

Michael Gordon 25 Jun 2019
In reply to LakesWinter:

> I thought the topos in Scottish Rock Vol 2 by Gary Latter were way way better and more useable than Scottish rock by the SMC

Strange comment since we're talking about the Ben which isn't covered by Scottish Rock Vol. 2! 

I'm not a fan of the SMC select guide, but IMO the modern definitives generally have better photo-topos than Gary's books.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...