Best grade 2/3 scramble days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 11 May 2020

Since getting my alpine-wings, I've gotten more into roped scrambling than multi-pitch climbing routes when in the UK. What grade 2/3 routes would you recommend for a "day out", ie, decent rock vs. walking time, not too far from civilisation (I live in really south-England), good views, etc?

Alex_Handhold 11 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

No idea, but I'm also curious 

In reply to rockwing:

North Ridge of Tryfan, Cneifon Arete, Crib Goch and many more in that area that I cannot recall the names of.

Al

LG-Mark 11 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Parsons Nose, followed by Clogwyn y Person arete.

Continue over Snowdon/Lliwedd or back via Crib Goch.  An excellent day out.

Jon Stewart 11 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

> Since getting my alpine-wings, I've gotten more into roped scrambling than multi-pitch climbing routes when in the UK. What grade 2/3 routes would you recommend for a "day out", ie, decent rock vs. walking time, not too far from civilisation (I live in really south-England), good views, etc?

Ridge scrambles in North Wales tend to be longer and better than the Lakes, but if you decide on the Lakes there's loads of great days out to be had.

Quite short for a day, but from Coniston, you can link The Bell, Low Water Beck, Brim Fell Slabs and a route on Dow Crag. A second route on Dow would extend it (there are a few scrambles plus classic Diffs).

Another nice Lakes day is Cam Crag Ridge, Attic Cave (I'd exit up the vdiff and continue upwards, seemed like grade 3 to me) and Corvus (diff - a bit more than a scramble).

The Langdales have a ton of scrambles that can be linked together with a bit of up and down, e.g. Pike O'Stickle main face (really good!), could do Merlin Slab (diff) Harrison Stickle south face, down Jack's Rake and take in Tarn Crag as a diversion on the way down.

Loads more with a bit of imagination, but it is a matter of linking together little routes rather than doing long sustained scrambling ridges.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...