Best Areas for Young Climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cheeky 04 Mar 2023

I have two girls 7 and 9. I am after ideas for crags with lots of single pitch easy climbs for young beginners to scale. Don't even have to be recognised routes just some nice blocky areas for some scrambling and confidence building. Also maybe some bouldering areas suitable for us.

We've already visited windgather and had a great day out however my eldest was very nervous with anchors built with gear.

GrahamD 04 Mar 2023
In reply to cheeky:

If you are looking for the Peak, I always reckon Harborough rocks takes some beating.  Anchors are still 'natural' but much easier to arrange than Windgather.

Your profile says you are in Guildford.   From there, it's worth also looking at Dancing Ledges lower tier at Swanage.

teapot 04 Mar 2023
In reply to cheeky:

It is easy enough to convince them the anchors are bomber. Just set them up, then abseil down to them and belay them as a bottom rope. If it takes mum/dad's weight they will trust it! 

Also involve them in the rigging and explain to them the amount of redundancy in the system. 

stubbed 06 Mar 2023
In reply to cheeky:

If you ever go to Shropshire, my two had great fun scrambling up and along the Stiperstones

wiwwim 07 Mar 2023
In reply to cheeky:

If down in south dartmoor, leigh tor has some nice kid friendly routes and has easy access.  

Mark Haward 07 Mar 2023
In reply to cheeky:

If you are in Guildford then Southern Sandstone is on your doorstep. Some fun short scrambles, bouldering and climbs at Stone Farm. Bowles and Harrisons may also suit, grades may feel stiff at first so start very easy and you'll quickly get used to it.

OP cheeky 08 Mar 2023
In reply to Mark Haward:

I'm familiar with the southern sand stone. Not a huge fan driving 1hour 15minutes when I can be in Wye Valley in two hours.  Also don't think the girls will get on that well there just yet.

Derry 08 Mar 2023
In reply to cheeky:

I would also put a second bid in for Leigh Tor in Dartmoor which has easy to find routes.
I took mine to Hound Tor for one of their first outings (at a slightly younger age) which had loads of unrecorded (on UKC anyway) micro scrambly routes you can put a rope on. I had myself and my partner there though, as lowering off over some of those granite lips can be a bit nerve racking for little legs. I just walked them off the top while the missus belayed below. 
Added to that, it's a cool place to explore as undoubtedly they'll not want to climb as much as you'd like them to. There's an old medieval village remains about 200m away, and following the path downhill, there's a beautiful stream/brook about 1km away, with a rope swing (if you can find it and its still there) and perfect picnicking spots.
And...the true kicker - there's often an ice cream van in the car park.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...