Berry Head DWS Tidal Range??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ElArt 22 Jul 2019

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what states of tide Berry Head Cauldron and Wave area can be reasonably DWS climbed?

Two metres either side of high tide? Late high tides this week.

Haven’t touched the bottom yet... Thanks for your time.

Post edited at 17:02
 AJM 22 Jul 2019
In reply to ElArt:

I don't know, but I'd have thought it was more at the "fine except the bottom of springs" sort of territory or something along those lines - I thought it was quite deep. But then I've not tested it...

ElArt 22 Jul 2019
In reply to AJM:

Thanks AJ i was there 3 hours after HT and it was fine on Saturday I suppose it’ll be ok on the way in. 

Bill

Post edited at 17:55
 Wft 22 Jul 2019
In reply to ElArt:

If you touch the bottom it would be a first, you just fall further

Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 24 Jul 2019
In reply to ElArt:

Hi,

Just in case you have not seen the access restrictions at Berry Head, the below needs to be adhered to. 

"Restrictions apply from 1 March - 31 July.

Reason: Nesting Birds

Berry Head is becoming a mecca for deep water soloing, but it is also an important breeding site for many seabirds. Historically, access was completely restricted during breeding but thanks to the efforts of local climbers, the BMC and Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust, the restriction has been made variable. This means it will be lifted as soon as nesting has been completed. The variable restriction has been granted on the condition that the following is adhered to:

1) The Great Cave and pitch 1 of Rainbow Bridge is still covered by the restriction (1st March to 31st July) and NO ACCESS is permitted. This is because the birds frequent the large platform. The standard approach for Rainbow Bridge (and The Great Cave) crosses this platform and will disturb the birds so climbers must choose one of the following options: a) Abseil from the metal post en route to The Great Cave (just beyond a red access notice) to an in-situ thread at the end of pitch 1. b) Down-climb HVS rock just to the left (looking out) of the post. This is not recommended for those who don't know the route.

2) The final Terminal Zawn (pitch 11) is still restricted. A marker just before this shows the extent of the ban. Climbers should exit up VS territory above the marker.

3) Access restrictions still apply to the following: - White Rhino Tea Buttress (Barnacle Traverse Continuation) - The Oz Wall - The Ledges above the Oz wall, beyond the Terminal Zawn. - The Great Cave and Bismark Wall. Markers have been positioned at both ends of the "open" section and these will show whether or not you are allowed on the traverse. This can be checked by contacting the Berry Head Rangers office (01803 882619).

Please contact the ranger if you are confused about cliff accessibility. A few other considerations: If you fall into the sea (during the restricted nesting season) getting out is now much more problematic as you must NOT get out at the Great Cave ledge (doing so would disturb the nesting birds). Those concerned by this should opt to abseil in (see b above) - doing this allows you to leave a rope through the in-situ thread at the base of the abseil to facilitate pulling out of the sea....or make the big swim to the ‘ Red Walls’ area."

It is important that climbers wanting to deepwater solo on these crags MUST call Brixham Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre on (01803) 882 704 before descending to the base of the cliffs. Climbers have caused a number of false call outs in the past - this creates significant problems for the rescue service and may jepordise future access on the Nature Reserve.

Post edited at 09:52
In reply to Daimon - Rockfax:

"if you have fallen into the sea, do not get out onto the obvious ledge" 

What a ridiculous statement. 

Tobes 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

What a ridiculous response -

you read all the details in the restrictions?

In reply to Tobes:

I skim read it, too detailed. The statement about the ledge jumped out of the page. In extremis, personal safety over rides the needs of the lesser spotted shitehawk. It could be ling ling and lang lang the pandas mating on the ledge but if your safety is at risk... 

TMM 24 Jul 2019

> I skim read it, too detailed. The statement about the ledge jumped out of the page. In extremis, personal safety over rides the needs of the lesser spotted shitehawk. It could be ling ling and lang lang the pandas mating on the ledge but if your safety is at risk... 

Well sadly so much of life is in the detail.

The statement you skimmed states ' A few other considerations: If you fall into the sea (during the restricted nesting season) getting out is now much more problematic as you must NOT get out at the Great Cave ledge (doing so would disturb the nesting birds). Those concerned by this should opt to abseil in (see b above) - doing this allows you to leave a rope through the in-situ thread at the base of the abseil to facilitate pulling out of the sea....or make the big swim to the ‘ Red Walls’ area."

There is no suggestion that if life is at stake you should attempt to doggy paddle your crippled body to the next cove. 

If climbers want to maintain access to these great spaces we need show some common courtesy and respect to other users be they human or any other living organism. Let's remember that birds require the space for their lives, we just want it for our kicks.

Tobes 24 Jul 2019

Glad to see the future and protection of seabirds is safely in your hands.

i’m fairly sure it’s an offence to intentionally or otherwise disturb nesting birds in the U.K..

i hope they aren’t too much of a nuisance in your justifiable and deserving activity of climbing bits of rock during nesting season. 

Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 24 Jul 2019

> What a ridiculous statement. 

Thanks for that, but the statement is from the BMC RAD so not ridiculous at all. Reading between the lines please and help out by not soloing until August the 1st like the rest of us.  

ElArt 03 Aug 2019
In reply to TMM:

I believe there is a specific area of cliff in which climbing is permitted and I understand this has been agreed between the BMC and the experts responsible for Berry Head.

This post wasn’t intended to blur the access agreement but to give some idea of water depth for climbing safety.

I think everyone reading will now be aware of the sensitivity of access here and will treat it with the respect that is due.

I have asked for this thread to be deleted so that there is no misunderstanding of access.

In reply to ElArt:

There’s no reason to delete this thread, because it just shows one highly misguided individual being corrected by the rest of the online climbing community. Surely this is a good example of how things should be?

I’m involved with the Ring Ouzel monitoring/protection in the Peak and it’s nice to see climbers rallying together to help support the species and I see the exact same thing going on here (even though it was meant to be about tides). In fact, as a result of this thread more people will be aware of the sensitivity, which can only be a good thing.

Presley, if you’re reading this maybe just stick to commenting on things you actually know about in future. It’s pretty clear to everyone that your initial comment was misinformed and you’re follow-up demonstrated that you not only were unable to accept you were wrong, but also that you had absolutely no intention of engaging with the debate properly. It’s not helpful, it was also quite rude, and as suggested above it reflects badly on climbers as a whole. 

Also, they’re Razorbills - not Shitehawks - and you’re the one posing a threat to their safety, not the other way around. Maybe show a little bit of empathy and give them their time/space to breed. It is - after all - a privilege to share the space with them, not a right.

Post edited at 07:48
ElArt 04 Aug 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Yes this is a good example of self regulation amongst the climbing community, a great example of how UKC access notes (which are easily checked and current) can help to ensure access is regulated within the agreement terms and how crag moderators can have a positive affect in supporting it.

Toerag 04 Aug 2019
In reply to ElArt:

> Thanks AJ i was there 3 hours after HT and it was fine on Saturday I suppose it’ll be ok on the way in. 

> Bill

Definitley. 'Half tide' is always the same height no matter whether it's neaps or springs. Berry head has a relatively small range anyway so things don't suddenly become safe/unsafe like they would in the Channel islands for example (10.4m range on a big spring in Guernsey, even more in Jersey).

ElArt 04 Aug 2019
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks Toerag👍👍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...