Loading Notifications...

Bennybeg debolted route?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 StuartinFife 16 Oct 2020

Anybody know why Driven round the Benny'd (5c) in the LH sector has been completely de-bolted? The anchor at the top is still there but all bolt hangars were missing on 16th Oct. 

Climb Psyched 16 Oct 2020
In reply to StuartinFife:

Hi StuartinFife,

Some bats have decided to make that route their home. They didn't say for how long but looked cosy. Didn't get the chance to remove the chains but will do next time I'm passing. 

Cheers,

Paul. 

In reply to Climb Psyched:

Good effort, Paul. Bat power! (And we don't need to climb everything...)

Mick

Hi Paul,

Thanks. We wondered if it was a safety issue as some of the hangars at Bennybeg are looking a bit "tired" with the combination of age, traffic and seepage.

I see you have added a warning on the logbook page which is great as bats are a highly protected species and also one of the few ways to catch rabies in the UK if you manage to get bitten! 

Cheers,

Stuart 

Post edited at 12:15
 Dr Toph 21:19 Fri

Well spotted and good work. There are plans afoot to upgrade the lower-offs at BB this winter, but will take great care not to disturb that line.

dmhigg 10:25 Sat
In reply to Dr Toph:

I've used and abused Bennybeg over the years, and it's been especially useful as an outdoor climbing wall recently. If the rebelaying goes ahead, is there a particular bolt fund I should look for?

(And can we have more big chains and maillons and fewer double rings, please. 😁)

I was also climbing next to the bats at dusk a couple of weeks ago: very spooky to have them appearing out of the wall.

In reply to dmhigg:

We were also wondering if there was a Bolt Fund for Bennybeg as we have been responsible for our fair share of the wear and tear!

I think Mountaineering Scotland have a bolt fund? May also be worth asking the Scottish Mountain Trust. 

In reply to StuartinFife:

I've sent a wee message to Dr Toph to see what his plans are and if he requires help.

I am local to the crag now and happy to help out removing and replacing the lower offs as a start. 

It would be good to have every lower off the same. 

Cheers.

Naechi 13:33 Sat
In reply to dmhigg:

> I've used and abused Bennybeg over the years, and it's been especially useful as an outdoor climbing wall recently. If the rebelaying goes ahead, is there a particular bolt fund I should look for?

> (And can we have more big chains and maillons and fewer double rings, please. 😁)

Scroll down on

https://www.7amax.co.uk/contact/

dmhigg 17:07 Sat
In reply to Naechi:

Ta. Donation made.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.