Avon Main Wall Left Rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 10 Feb 2023

There has been a significant rock fall from above the top of Bonbogies. The lower off tree has been destroyed although a barely usable stump remains if you're desperate. Would not advise attempting to top out. The crag has been peppered with rocks and the lower sloping earth shelves on the approach have been hammered and the earth has been loosened up considerably. All reported to BMC. Take care

Steve Claw 10 Feb 2023
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Thanks, someone else mentioned this earlier this week.

Did you by chance take a photo of the anchor?  Does the rock above look stable?

fammer 10 Feb 2023
In reply to Steve Claw:

That'd be me. Looks deathy above, loose mud and rock. Trying to top out definitely a bad idea. I managed to lower off the stump (with a backup from my belayer to take me at the next gear if the anchor failed), but it's pretty spicy and not recommended. Unfortunately not much in the way of alternative gear options around for another anchor. It seems the rockfall occured above the abseil stations and the routes seem mostly unaffected.

OP Cheese Monkey 10 Feb 2023
In reply to Steve Claw:

Yes mate ill drop you a message with pics etc. The face above looks unstable and there is a fair amount of loose rock perched on the slope above the strop

OP Cheese Monkey 15 Feb 2023

I have provided an alternative belay point, but having seen the state of the crag above up close I would avoid the entire area for some time as in my opinion further significant rock falls are quite likely.

Colin Knowles 16 Feb 2023

Update:
- As of today significant quantity of unstable blocks remain above the old Bonbogies belay;
- As the belay tree was smashed, the strop belay was not longer safe. This has been removed and replaced a twin bolt belay/lower-off slightly lower;
- Very substantial amounts of loose rock remain on the approach ledges to the Maltravers/Bonbogies area.

Taking all of the above into account it may not be advisable at the moment to loiter beneath this area at ground level, or to approach or attempt the climbs in the area from The Mal through to Maltravers.

Please spread the word

Steve Claw 16 Feb 2023

Thank you Colin.

Big thank you to Ben for going over and assessing it up close.

Bolted anchor supplied by the GWR Bolt Fund.

OP Cheese Monkey 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Colin Knowles:

Yes, also photos are available on the ClimbBristol Facebook page if anyone is in any doubt over how dodgy this area is currently. 

The approaches and to some extent the starts of neighbouring routes are also at risk, albeit lower. The debris should make it fairly clear what is and isn't in the firing line.

Xavierpercy 16 Feb 2023

Are they available anywhere for people not on Facebook 

OP Cheese Monkey 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Xavierpercy:

It's a public page you don't need to be on facebook

https://m.facebook.com/Climbbristol/

Xavierpercy 16 Feb 2023

It just takes me to a log in or create account page

Steve Claw 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Xavierpercy:

I'll message you 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...