Any charities looking for used climbing shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 slab_happy 14 Feb 2020

Got a pair to get rid of, still usable but too beaten up to resell, happy to post within the UK.

full stottie 14 Feb 2020
In reply to slab_happy:

Here's one below. I've found it hard over the years to give useable stuff away. Once upon a time James Pearson and Caroline Cavaldini promoted a charity called SPOT for climbers in the Phillipines but I can't find an active reference for it now. I also sent some stuff to someone who was taking gear to Turkey but I've lost his contact details. I would be keen to help aspirant climbers in developing countries but the routeways are hard to find.

Hope this one helps though 

Dave

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/for_sale+wanted/wanted_wtd_rock_shoes_for...

nufkin 14 Feb 2020

To advance the topic, what should we all be doing with shoes that are too far gone to pass on or re-sole? I've got through a fair few shoes over the years and it pains me to chuck them, but I can't think of anything better (on a big scale, I mean - turning some into chew toys and hanging baskets is fine for a pair or two, but it seems like there ought to be something better for the thousands of shoes climbers must collectively get through every year)

marktrik 14 Feb 2020
In reply to slab_happy:

I've got numerous pairs of climbing shoes, all in pretty bad condition... holes etc...

You asked the question for me as I've been thinking what to do with them.

NathanP 14 Feb 2020
In reply to marktrik:

If they are at all like my retired climbing shoes, I'd suggest burying them in a lead-lined box somewhere geologically stable with a very clear "bio-hazard" warning indelibly marked on the lid. There are bigger non-recyclable problems to worry about.

marktrik 14 Feb 2020
In reply to NathanP:

Sounds like u know what my shoes can be like.  They do need a bio hazard sign after a few hard bouldering sessions..... theve been banned to the shed now.

however, I have been known to put them in the washing machine with out anyone knowing... 

AndyRoss 14 Feb 2020
In reply to slab_happy:

I could use them for Gloucestershire Scouts. Even small holes are fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...