Agden Rocher - Oak Tree Walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 20 Jun 2022

Very specific question about a slightly esoteric crag!

I went to Agden on Saturday, my friend Dave led Oak Tree Walk (VS 4b), and I think due to thinking of it as a rock climb, climbed the rock above the tree rather than doing, what we could see from above, is a big chunk of tree climbing! 

He went through the the bulge into some cracks just left of the tree, then followed a crack/groove feature back right to finish (as we could see looking down) as for the original route after you exit the tree and get back on the cliff! The bit just up and left of the tree was technical, although there was some decent gear. Maybe 5a-ish? 

For anyone who knows the cliff, is that bit of rock on Flamingo Wall (E1 5b)? If you (like us) hadn't fully understood just how much tree climbing, or at least chimneying between tree and rock, is on the original route it seemed like a very obvious way to go and really felt like the natural continuance of the crack that takes you up to the oak itself. 

Only my second time to Agden - but really enjoyed it. If anyone is feeling public spirited, it's a crag that could definitely benefit from some more solid stakes being placed in the grass at the top. We did Jericho Wall (HS 4b) first, and I had to use a fence post behind the dry stone wall and one stake off to the side. I'll maybe ask at the next BMC area meeting if anyone knows who placed the stakes that are there currently, and what people think about additional ones. 

Martin Haworth 20 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA: I think you did go into Flamingo wall. I think I built a belay with gear at the top of Flamingo Wall.

Sam Beaton 20 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA:

I did Oak Tree Walk last year and used the tree as much as I could! I stood on an alarmingly thin but polished branch to get back into the rock. Definitely the right way to go for that route and fine for the grade (and a superb route).

PaulJepson 20 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA:

It's a nice crag. S.O.S. (VS 4c) is a really good route (also with a bit of tree shenanigans) at the same grade. Bull Crack (VS 4b) is not a really good route at the same grade. 

I'm still unsure as to whether it qualifies as grit (as it's potentially the site of my first grit E1, if it does). I've seen it referred to as coal measures sandstone, similar to Wharncliff, but then in an older Stanage area guide it's referred to as just a different layer of Chatsworth grit. It's definitely edgier/blockier than other grit I've climbed but it's also definitely grittier than other sandstone I've climbed. 

cragtyke 20 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, looks like you strayed onto Flamingo Wall, you need to climb quite a bit of the tree until you can lean across onto the wall, it's reminiscent of the yew on North Crag Eliminate but without the need to put a helmet on the spike to guard against anal impalement! 

Didn't realise Flamingo Wall had been upgraded, the start is a bit technical on slightly dodgy rock and not great gear, long reach at the top as well.

Offwidth 20 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for the tip. To help new visitors these are our notes on the sub-extreme routes we have done that we think think are worth stars and would recommend to experienced climbers, a few which are not in the current guidebooks:

[8 Double-De-clutch VS 4c* [VS 4c; =; VS; =] (HVS 5a*) at least HVS 5a*

Excellent climbing mainly up the left side stepped arête, albeit slight artificial feeling lower down. There is a midway crux and a top crux, both tough 5a, and both well protected (the latter with wires or micro-cams in a crack round to the right), and despite the Eastern grit description only the escapable lower section is a little bold. Maybe VS 4c* for giants. Simple belay at the top ledge. Or scramble out to stakes above and right.

10.5 Funeral Crack S [S; =; =; HVD] (S 4a*) at least HS 4b*

The crack, chimney and corner system has improved with cleaning and now gives a memorable mini classic for the edge. Gaining the chimney is tricky but most fun with gymnastic moves on the wall to the left. Move up to the ledge and the upper section improves and gets harder almost all the way to the top (just watch a loose triangular flake in the corner at the very top). It’s possible to belay on the top ledge but many will prefer to scramble up and right to stakes.

[22a Numenorean Variation HS 4b*

Avoiding the short and rather artificial crux of the parent route gives a delightful, varied and balanced climb. Climb the grooves of White Rose a couple of metres higher until it’s possible to hand traverse a break rightwards to the arête. Climb this and step right to a groove and exit carefully.

[23 White Rose Flake VS 4c* [=; =; VS*; VS] (VS 4c*)

Surprisingly pleasant climbing for such a steep looking route. Gets better and slightly harder as height is gained to a superbly positioned crux finish on some weirdly unique hollow (but currently solid seeming) rock.

[24 Martini VS 4b* [HS 4b**; =; S+**; HS] (VS 4b*) at least VS 4b*

From a standing position on the right-hand block, fiddle in what runners you can and boldly pull up the steep wall to gain an easier slab. From the tree, traverse left to the big ‘booming’ flake and move up to the finishing crack just right of the arete.

26 Bianco VS 4b* [VS 4b; =; VS; =] (VS 4b*) possible VS 4b*

A lovely route with much variation possible to encourage a revisit: climb the three-stepped arete on either side, until forced right onto the finishing crack of Martini at the very top. The first tier crux is reachy (at least tough VS 4c for the short), where small cams and micro-cams are very useful to pack a shallow break. A right hand arête start gives a good V0- 4c problem and staying on the arête, on its right side, all the way to the top gives a fun HVS 5a eliminate to a crux finish. Belay at the top.

27a Filth Right S [VD; =; =; =] (HVD 4a) possible HVD 4a*

Completely independent of its neighbour climb the initial crack boldly, with some suspect rock but  good holds, to a lovely wide finishing crack that is easier than it looks due to hidden delights. Belay at the top.

[33 Oak Tree Wall VS 4b** [HS 4b***; =*; S+*; HS] (VS 4b*; VS 4b**) possible VS 4b*

The climbing is very good but the precarious crux moves are dependant on standing on higher branches of the long suffering oak (to reach the handholds which allow further progress on the top wall). The tree is still surviving but for how much longer?

38 Man of God HS 4a [S 4a; =; S*; HS] (VS 4b*) at least HS 4b*

A memorable wide tester. The steep corner with the wide crack looks HVS but as often with Agden surprise holds on the walls come to the rescue. It gives sustained interest with several crux sections. If you lack the biggest cams it’s possibly VS 4b* but still only mildly bold. Usually only climbed to the tree (abseil off) but it’s not really a scramble to the top as the BMC guidebook claims: vegetated climbing with some loose rock and not recommended.

41a Campsite Capers VS 5a*

Excellent climbing with some impressive positions, just a bit eliminate at the start. Take the enjoyable twin cracks immediately right of Campsite Crack (with blinkers) and the jams above, up to and over a burly crux bulge. There is an optional belay on the spacious ledge above the arête (useful to recover cams you might need above). Take the groove and move left into Campsite Crack. Climb this for 2m and take an airy traverse right, on breaks just under the roof, to an exposed position on a small foothold on the arête (gulp!). Make an awkward series of moves up to gain a ledge and the climbing suddenly eases. Belay at the top of the climbing as per Campsite Crack.

42 Campsite Crack S** [S**; =; S-**; VD] (S 4a**; =) at least S 4a**

The big corner is a delight and certainly the best of the lower grade climbs on the crag winding up steep terrain for the grade. Take the initial corner then move right to follow the upper corner all the way. There are several crux sections on solid rock, with the hardest right at the exit. Take your time with the awkward-to-arrange belay.

44m Cock o’ the North S [=; =; S*; S] (S 4a) at least HS 4b*

The right side of the wall has a series of parallel thin cracks under a tree. Start at a low rock ledge, just left, and move up and right to the cracks and climb these delicately (crux) to some arboreal manoeuvres. A slightly tricky chimney section gains the easier corner above. At the top of the chimney its best to take the Spring Lamb Dopiaza finish (at no increase in grade, but easily justifying the star): traverse 3m left on a narrow foot-ledge onto the middle of the exposed face and then go straight up with good holds and pro, finishing just left of a scooped section at the top. The normal straight up corner finish is OK but scruffy and makes the climb unbalanced. Belay possible at the top block or use a stake back and left.

[45 Spring Lamb Dopiaza VS 4c possible VS 4c*

Very unlikely-looking, quality climbing and only slightly eliminate. Start as for Cock of the North but climb straight up from the low ledge with hard initial moves and follow a line of partly hidden slots, edges and breaks on the wall left of the tree until the overlap.  Move right here to climb the short chimney and back left on a narrow ledge into a great position in the middle of the face. If you have done the finish for the previous route a slightly harder variation, more in keeping for VS, goes up the face just right, direct to a top scooped section where holds are a bit sloping. Belay possible at the top block or use a stake back and left.

[47 Briggs’ and Titterton’s  HVS 5b** [HVS 5a*; =; VS+*; VS] (HVS 5b*; =) possible HVS 5a**

The thin crack gives sustained enjoyable climbing without ever becoming too serious thanks to useful holds appearing on the side walls. Stake belay above.

[48 The Whittler VS 4c* [=***; =*; VS**; VS] (VS 4c**; =*) at least VS 4c**

A really delightful and well protected wall climb, low in both grades. Initially steep and bouldery then a long section of sustained delicate exploration, where progress is always easier than it might first look and some surprising holds, leads eventually a grassy niche with a tree. Climb the groove above or move out on the arête on the right to finish. It’s also possible to climb the twin crack 5a finish of Lemon Squeezy. Stake belay above.

[48a Gordon’s Climb [VS 4c; VS; =; =] possible VS 4c**

This lovely variant on Whittler was stupidly left out from 2006 guide? Climb the main line for 10m until a wide break on the right is at chest height. Traverse excitingly rightwards on good hand and foot holds to gain an exposed hanging groove-line. This gives more quality climbing until just below the scrappy exit slot on the right. It’s also possible to traverse right slightly lower (hands at the level of the break)… harder and bolder. Belay possible at the top block or use a stake back and left.

[58 SOS VS 4b* [=; =; VS**; VS] (VS 4b*) at least VS 4c**

A long and exciting expedition, with some great rock scenery, up the far left of the main wall. High in both VS and 4c grades. The undercut starting groove is good fun unless you miss the trick (when it can be gruelling). Good climbing leads up the wall towards the tree, moving slightly right at the amazing rock finger, to gain the sandy cave ledge to the right of the tree (possible belay.. or sling extend ropes to keep them off the tree). Move out left on the ledge to a beefy corner layback and hope the good holds at the top arrive soon enough! From the next ledge, finish rightwards (possible but loose directly above). The topo lines are wrong in both 2006 and Eastern Grit guidebooks!!

PaulJepson 20 Jun 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

> [58 SOS VS 4b* [=; =; VS**; VS] (VS 4b*) at least VS 4c**

> A long and exciting expedition, with some great rock scenery, up the far left of the main wall. High in both VS and 4c grades. The undercut starting groove is good fun unless you miss the trick (when it can be gruelling). Good climbing leads up the wall towards the tree, moving slightly right at the amazing rock finger, to gain the sandy cave ledge to the right of the tree (possible belay.. or sling extend ropes to keep them off the tree). Move out left on the ledge to a beefy corner layback and hope the good holds at the top arrive soon enough! From the next ledge, finish rightwards (possible but loose directly above). The topo lines are wrong in both 2006 and Eastern Grit guidebooks!!

I opted to go up left and behind the tree and extend any gear there with long slings. Makes gaining the ledge after a bit bolder but means you don't have hideous drag of a 90-degree bend on your rope(s). 

Martin Haworth 20 Jun 2022
In reply to Offwidth: I thought Briggs' and Titterton's (HVS 5b) was a bit bold and high in the grade, Conjunctus Viribus (E1 5a) is easier and safer.

ChrisJD 20 Jun 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I've seen it referred to as coal measures sandstone, similar to Wharncliff, but then in an older Stanage area guide it's referred to as just a different layer of Chatsworth grit. It's definitely edgier/blockier than other grit I've climbed but it's also definitely grittier than other sandstone I've climbed. 

The BGS have it mapped as:

Carboniferous 'Huddersfield White Rock' unit part of the 'Marsden Formation', which is part of the 'Millstone Grit Group' (the Millstone Grit is older/below the Coal Measures). 

This is stratigraphically equivalent to the upper part of the Chatsworth Grit (Rivelin Grit also same as Chatsworth). Stanage is Chatsworth Grit.

Looks like it switches name from Chatsworth to Huddersfield WR just north of the A57.

https://webapps.bgs.ac.uk/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?pub=HDW

https://mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/geologyofbritain3d/

https://largeimages.bgs.ac.uk/iip/mapsportal.html?id=1004282

Post edited at 15:35
 ChrisJD 20 Jun 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

> ... Coal Measures sandstone, similar to Wharncliff

The Wharncliff Rock unit is within the Lower Coal Measures.

Offwidth 20 Jun 2022
In reply to Martin Haworth:

We thought HVS 5a, so in a sense it's a little bolder than average and I'd agree top half of the grade band ...it's still lovely and easier than it looks from below.

Not done CV yet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...