Accident at Kyloe on Sunday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 michaelb1 23 Jun 2022

Many thanks to those who helped at the crag after my friend John had a fall from the crux of 'wilfred prickles'. This includes the first aiders, gear retrievers and general helpers. Not to mention paramedics, police and Northumberland mountain rescue! A cast of thousands. Thanks again.

Although John didnt deck out ( very close) he had a dislocated thumb from the fall and the rope was behind his leg causing him to invert and tear his achilles, which was why he couldn't walk out. No head injury thanks to a helmet. 

Anyway he's at home and recovering and looking forward to gradually getting back out again. A few lessons learned for us. 

jonny taylor 23 Jun 2022
In reply to michaelb1:

I’m glad your friend is doing ok- scary stuff.

Do you mind me asking what gear held him? I remember it being a fun route in very nice rock features, but my memory is of some placements being nuts in between fine fluting. I always had a lingering doubt about whether those would hold a big fall…

OP michaelb1 23 Jun 2022
In reply to jonny taylor:

> I’m glad your friend is doing ok- scary stuff.

> Do you mind me asking what gear held him? I remember it being a fun route in very nice rock features, but my memory is of some placements being nuts in between fine fluting. I always had a lingering doubt about whether those would hold a big fall…

It was a cam in the fluting jonny. A dragon, the size purple one (1) I think. I remember because he came back down to get it and place it fortunately. 

I recall a bad accident there a while back after a wire ripped from that fluting. 

joem 23 Jun 2022
In reply to michaelb1:

Glad to hear he got home okay and no head injury! I do have one question if its not too intrusive, there was a higher green cam had he been unable to clip it of something else? We were at the crag though only helped get the gear.

OP michaelb1 23 Jun 2022
In reply to joem:

> Glad to hear he got home okay and no head injury! I do have one question if its not too intrusive, there was a higher green cam had he been unable to clip it of something else? We were at the crag though only helped get the gear.

Thanks for getting the gear Joem. He didnt clip that piece, didnt think it was good enough. Think it was a situation when half way through a sequence you stop, try to place gear, it's a bit crap and then you have to try and continue and it all went wrong. 

joem 23 Jun 2022
In reply to michaelb1: ahhh that makes sense have come close to something similar happening to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...