Access to St Govans Head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pjor 10 Sep 2020

Thinking of heading down to Pembroke next week. 

Just been on UK gov website to check range East access and read that road from Bosherston to St Govans car park and footpath from St govans to Broadhaven are closed. 

Does this effectively mean no climbing at St Govans or might I have misunderstood.

Assumed range East would be closed but not St govans. 

Any clarification much appreciated 

danieleaston 10 Sep 2020
In reply to pjor:

As far as I'm aware, in the week often they close the whole thing up to Broadhaven beach. If you look on the UKC crag map you can see the red shaded area is where the firing range is, and if it is listed as closed on the website during the day then you cant go there. Mowingword is out of the range as well as others.

OP pjor 10 Sep 2020
In reply to danieleaston:

Thanks for the reply. 

Looks like whole of the range is out all of next week 

John2 10 Sep 2020
In reply to pjor:

Usually there is only night firing on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you look at the third column in the firing notice it tells you if the St Govans and Stack Rocks roads will be open at night. It looks as though you will be fine on Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week but only on Friday on the week beginning 21st. If there is no night firing the road normally opens around 4.30.

nuts and bolts 10 Sep 2020
In reply to pjor:

Sometimes they schedule firing and then cancel it so it is always worth driving down and asking the man in the hut at the gate if it will open later in the day.

PaulTanton 11 Sep 2020
In reply to nuts and bolts:

I was at St Govs carpark one Saturday morning after the range had been shut overnight. The. Guy said it would open at 10AM. There were a load of climbers waiting to go in, then an army bus turned up to collect the sqadies followed by a wedding party going to the chapel. 
quite a strange cross section of society. 

OP pjor 13 Sep 2020
In reply to John2:

Thanks for this info. 

Really helpful. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...