Access to crags for a student, Glasgow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

I will most likely be starting university in September, and one of my options is Glasgow Strathclyde.

Can anyone tell me about outdoor climbing accessible via bike / public transport from the city ?

I've done some research and found Dumbarton rock is a train ride away (?) plus a couple of other minor crags perhaps.

Further to this any comments on the indoor walls or city in general would be appreciated.

Ta Nick.

Post edited at 15:01
 Jack B 07 May 2020
In reply to Nicknackpaddywack:

Like any Scottish university (and many others) there is a University Mountaineering Club.  

https://sumcstrathclyde.wordpress.com/

They might be able to tell you more about the crags they visit regularly, and will also provide a way of getting out to the crags and mountains throughout Scotland.

Laurence20 07 May 2020

Hi,

If you're willing to cycle a bit there's Auchinstarry quarry near Kilsyth. It's a nice cycle (entirely flat) along a canal and around 13 miles from Glasgow city centre. You could also bus there.

There's Craigmore, around 8 miles north, it has some short routes and bouldering. Cycling is along some semi-busy roads.

There's plenty of places you can get to via train that are then walkable from the station, Dunkeld is around 1hr by train and a 45 min walk to Polney or Cave Crag. 

There are some quarries near Stirling (Cambusbarron). Haven't walked there from Stirling station but they are about 2 miles as the crow flies).

Glasgow is a great city and Strathclyde Uni. has the best campus location.   It's right next to Queen Street station and you can get to Edinburgh from there in only an hour.

Seriously, Glasgow has two TCA locations so bouldering is pretty well covered and GCC which is an OK roped wall.   The best indoor roped climbing is at EICA Ratho which isn't that easy to get to on public transport from Glasgow but there's probably an excellent chance of getting a lift from someone.  There's also sport climbing in the quarry outside EICA which is a rarity in central Scotland.

You can get up into the highlands on the bus up the A82 at the weekend.

TBH: there's better cities for cragging but the opportunities for hillwalking and indoor climbing are good.

AGilmour 07 May 2020

Strathclyde Uni has an active mountaineering club, there are a few members/ex-members on these forums. I've not been involved for a few years now though so not sure of the exact arrangements these days.

Best place to find them is probably through their Facebook group, seems to still be where things get organised. If you search Strathclyde University Mountaineering Club it should come up. They're also on Instagram these days. Friendly bunch 

Toccata 07 May 2020

Glasgow might be rubbish for cragging but you will struggle to find a better place in the UK to live. My wife (from Liverpool) reckons it’s the friendliest place she’s ever lived. And you can wake up on Saturday morning and decide skiing in the Grampians, routes on the Ben, a stroll in the Trossachs, biking in the Galloways, a paddle in Etive, mackerel fishing on Loch Fyne or just decide to wander in to town for a gig. Nowhere like it.

kwoods 07 May 2020
In reply to Toccata:

Born and grew up in Glasgow and yep, agree with that! To be in town for a gig (OK, not at the moment....) in 10 mins or out to Arrochar in 45 mins. 

Post edited at 21:05
 spenser 07 May 2020
In reply to Toccata:

I had a 5 week stint in Glasgow with work and I would be very happy living up there I reckon despite the relatively poor evening cragging options (at least compared to Derby where I live now).

GGD 12 May 2020

No point reiterating what others have already said.

But Wolfcrag quarry is a short train journey. 80+ problems, many of which are pretty good, and a surprisingly pleasant setting given it’s a quarry. 

There’s a new topo which is helpful available here - https://gumroad.com/nothrillseditions#VsnNU

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...