30m ropes in the lake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Cook 23 Aug 2019

After stupidly selling my long halves before heading to Canada I'm now stuck with a pair of 30m's used in the peak. Only climbed in the lakes once so not 100% convinced I can get away with them for some multipitch. Anybody able to confirm/ recommend some routes I could get away with. 

Cheers

Mark Eddy 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Cook:

Loads of routes would be fine on half 30's. Have you got the FRCC guide? That'll give you plenty to go at

Baron Weasel 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Cook:

If you read the old guides many routes were done with shorter pitches historically. Pick your route well and you should be ok, lots of long runners and slings will help too. A mate and I did a big route on scafell last year with a single 40m and it was great. Alpine light was how my mate sold the idea to me!

Rog Wilko 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Cook:

In order to make it more likely that Mrs Wilko and I can get to the start of the odd high crag route with enough energy left to do the route I recently cut down two 50m half ropes to 30m. The first route we tackled was Gillercombe Buttress. There weren't any real problems, but I took the precaution of using an old guidebook. The current guidebook gives 6 pitches, of which three are 40m. The 1968 guidebook gives 9 pitches, the longest of which is 60 feet.

machine 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Cook:

The bowder stone

Michael Hood 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Cook:

Did Eliminate A a few years ago with a doubled 60m (might have been 70m) rope. No problems, just couldn't run pitches together.

pass and peak 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Cook:

Lots of routes will be fine as long as your happy to get back on the rock and keep on climbing after falling off. If you need to be lowered back down to the stance/ground from your pro, then you may encounter some problems!

Ann S 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Cook:

Plenty of the smaller lower crags will give you good sport, including some of the classic slabs and 'Not' routes on White Ghyll in Langdale. Also in Langdale is Raven crag Walthwaite, 3mins from the car and Kettle crag with a longer walk in. Wallowbarrow crag in the Duddon valley has multipitches which will suit you. Gouther crag over in Swindale is usually quiet and the south side of Castle Rock near Kesick gets the sun all day if it's out. Enjoy.

John Kelly 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Walthwaite - the good belay on the classic 'Route 2' is well back

Post edited at 12:50
 Ann S 25 Aug 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

i know the spot you mean and I have used it, but the first time I climbed the route my partner got a belay just below the edge.

John Kelly 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

You can but I don't like it much, sloping ground, flared cracks.

Post edited at 15:16
 Ann S 25 Aug 2019
In reply to John Kelly:

Agreed. 😬

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...