The Hazel Findlay Master Your Mind Tour

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Team BMC 27 Mar 2018
premier post photo

Fear of falling holding you back? Do you want to try climbing hard but the thought of failure stops you before even trying? Master your mind with coaching from Hazel Findlay and you'll take the first step towards realising your climbing dreams.

We've all been there; you freeze before making the move to the last hold, doubt floods in and your eyes turn towards the ground. But it doesn't have to be a fear of falling or failure that holds you back either, not being able to think positively or visualise success can also negatively impact your climbing, training, and even your everyday life. 

Master your Mind by joining us for a session of expert tutelage from BMC ambassador Hazel Findlay, followed by an action-packed night starring Hazel and comedian Niall Grimes (Manchester only).

Tuesday 1 May: London White Spider Climbing

Wednesday 2 May: Bristol Redpoint Climbing Centre

Thursday 3 May: Manchester Manchester Climbing Centre

The Manchester Master Mind film night features: 

• The BMC TV Mind Control film, featuring Hazel’s climb back to fitness

• A talk from Hazel

• QnA session with Niall Grimes

• Prizes, fun and freebies

Get your tickets here

AP Melbourne 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

So not blatantly piggy-backing on Jerry's new book then BMC? [Am happy to be corrected - for JM's sake] but this appears 'at first blush' to appear that way to me at least.

In the classic words of our Australian Senator Pauline Hanson - "Please explain".

Thanks,

Andy P.

In reply to AP Melbourne:

Andy, is Jerry giving you commission?

Paul

Post edited at 16:11
 AP Melbourne 29 Mar 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Andy, is Jerry giving you commission?

No Paul. Hope yer well mate.

Alex Messenger, BMC 29 Mar 2018

Hi Andy

OK, we’ll explain!

Each year the BMC runs a short series of not-for-profit masterclasses as part of our training programme. Last year they featured Emma Twyford. This year we’re using Hazel Findlay, with her coaching speciality of mental training for climbing.

She’s a BMC ambassador and we made a film about her climbing 8c last year (called Mind Control), so it all fits together really well.

Any resemblance to Jerry’s new book is unintended.

If anyone is interested in coming then don’t hang around. There are only 36 places for the coaching sessions and Bristol is already sold out:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/hazel-findlay-master-mind-tour

It's £85 for non-members and £65 for BMC members. It's a fantastic saving if you're a member already, but if you're not a member yet then remember that our first year Direct Debit offer is only £15, so you'll still be saving £5!

Alex.

> No Paul. Hope yer well mate.

Great thanks, hope you are too. 58 next week but still dragging myself up the crags.

There’s a non stop flight back home now from Perth if you can glue enough nicotine patches on and fancy a climb and some beers in the Porter Cottage

FreshSlate 01 Apr 2018

Had to google what you were talking about. Fortunately for the TV show and Hazel here, Jerry Moffat does not own the phrase 'master mind' and 6 months after a book release is not too soon to use such a generic turn of phrase.

Mick Ward 01 Apr 2018

Hi Andy,

Obviously there have been a few (but only a few) 'masters of psyche'.  Back in the day, there were Jerry, you, Johnny Dawes and John Redhead (in random order!)  And I'm sure all of you have useful insights.

Clearly Hazel Findlay is another ('mistress of psyche'?)  I've never met her but I've always had an impression of someone who's done some very serious soul searching. She's got the enviable ability to get into a headspace which more than 99% of climbers can't and she seems very open and honest about her (and our?) strengths and weaknesses.

I believe she's been working on this stuff for some years now. Probably Jerry was mulling it over too before starting his book. It's always been common, in science for instance, for two or more people to be making discoveries in parallel and this is probably what's happened here. I don't think she's piggy-backing on Jerry's book in any way, shape or form. She just doesn't seem that kind of person.

Have just come back from being rained off the crags and, while I was feeling relatively confident, I was still very much aware that my headspace needs to be much better. I know it holds me back. It probably holds most climbers back. Whatever helps is surely all to the good.

Mick  

AP Melbourne 02 Apr 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

Wise words there Mick and I wholeheartedly agree [as I always do with your posts].

I most certainly was not having a dig at young Hazel - who I've met briefly once actually and who's not just charming & fun but a better climber than I ever was to boot.

I take the point that 'Master Mind' is not an exclusive phrase, if fact in retrospect Jerry and Hannes may actually have 'borrowed' the BMC's words.

Accordingly, I am happy to stand corrected here and [not that one can, literally] but I withdraw my initial statement. Hopefully no offense was caused - particularly to Ms Findlay - that was never my intention, was just [wrongly perhaps] standing up for my old mate Jeremy Charles Aloysius Moffatt.

Now where's my freakin' coat?

Mick Ward 02 Apr 2018

Andy, on here, as I'm sure you've noticed, apologies are as rare as hen's teeth - to be treasured.  And your apology is the most gracious I've ever seen. Many thanks indeed!

I'm sure there's commonality between what Jerry and Hazel Findlay have come up with. Equally I'm sure each stands on its own merits.

After a rare visit to a bouldering wall today, it's humbling to see how strong even quite inexperienced climbers are - well, as long as they're young!  But what happens when they hit sport crags - and, even more so, trad crags? Suddenly it's a big headgame. The more help they can get, the better.

Back in the day you (and Mike Owen) pushed really hard in terms of physically hard routes and mentally hard routes, at pretty much the same time - which was rare. So both of you were facing the whole range of challenge in terms of, "Can I do this - and what's gonna happen if I can't?" (And it doesn't have to be serious. Failure on a sport route - or a boulder problem - or anything you really want to do - can have dire consequences.)

I know you've written about this before but I've got a feeling you've got much more to contribute.  With writing about climbing, sometimes you take a slightly different tack and suddenly a whole new avenue of exploration opens. A bit like doing a new route and looking across from the belay and seeing another line that you were kind of vaguely aware of and suddenly thinking, "I really should give that one a go."

Just a thought. We're definitely missing your articles.

All best wishes,

Mick

AP Melbourne 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks Mick, much appreciated as always.

Kindest,

A.

Alex Messenger, BMC 03 Apr 2018

Cheers Andy, and Mick. 

Heads up: Manchester and Bristol masterclasses are now sold out. A handful of tickets are still available for London. The Manchester night with Hazel and Niall Grimes is filling up fast too. 

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/hazel-findlay-master-mind-tour

AP Melbourne 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

All calm here thanks Alex and ta for accepting my apology. Of course Mr Ward remains a very good [if not the best] intermediary and moral compass. Cheers Mick,

A.

DanSharkey 03 May 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

If anyone has any tickets for the Manchester evening session going spare that they can't use, I'd love to get a chance to go to this! Please get in touch!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...