Surviving The Death Zone

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 jswindsor 27 Feb 2018

On the 13th June 2018 the British Mountain Medicine Society are organising a one day course entitled "Surviving the Death Zone".

This not-for-profit event will take place in Hathersage, Derbyshire and include films, workshops and a range of talks from scientists, doctors, equipment manufacturers and guides from around the world.

The day is open to all those interested in the science that underpins safe and successful climbing in the "Death Zone".

Speakers include: Charlie Clarke, Ed Douglas, Sundeep Dhillon, Jim Duff, Chris Imray, Adele Pennington and representatives from Rab.

The day will run from 0800-1500. Lunch and Evening Meal are included.

The afternoon is set aside for everyone to get out and enjoy the Peak District.

5 CPD points are available from the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh).

Cost: £75 (£50 without evening meal).

So whether you're a mountaineer, medic or someone who's just curious to know how the human body copes in the "Death Zone", why don't you come along?

For information and booking contact - jswindsor@doctors.org.uk

Ronish Baxter 04 Apr 2018
In reply to jswindsor:

This is definitely worth a visit according to my opinion. I have always wondered how the human body copes in those high altitudes and maybe after attending this event, I will get to know exactly how. Great, thanks.

Offwidth 09 May 2018
In reply to jswindsor:

I accidently came across, by chance, the presentation at Plas y Brenin on Sunday May 6th (can't find the link anywhere so a copy would be useful so I can thank the doctor) comparing the cases of Lincoln Hall and David Sharp. The detailed data in this was facinating even down to daily comparative partial oxygen pressure (how small drops have a huge effect at altitude), wind chill, temperature etc,  and this linked with hypoxia was something I'd never seen so clearly presented before. I felt too many in the Q&A got a bit stuck on ethics and missed the bigger scientific picture. I left convinced that Lincoln was lucky with conditions and a good team and saved only by a gargantuum effort and sadly David, a lone climber, was dead once he spent the night near the summit irrespective of any rescue attempt. The high pressure window with improved oxygen partial pressure, higher temperature as well as reduced wind speed seems to be something that needs clearer public focus on the 8000m peak attempts. The other big take away was always climb in expeditions with more than one woman as fatality rates statistically seemed to decline significantly in such groups.

MedlifeCrisis 15 May 2018
In reply to jswindsor:

I am visiting this forum for the first time in order to share a video and coincidentally this is the first post I've seen, as the topic is related. Indeed, the research mentioned has been carried out by some of the speakers!

Why are the Sherpa so good at high altitude?   youtube.com/watch?v=zXHgbUjPhOU&

In reply to jswindsor:

This is my first reply in this forum and speaking of the 'Death Zone' what I can only think of is a video I watched on YouTube which is called - Seconds from Disaster: Into the Death Zone. Here is a link to the video and its a must watch I believe.

youtube.com/watch?v=_N6ieRollAo&

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...