Student rock climbing research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bleu Monstad 01 Apr 2020

Why do you rock climb?

My name is Bleu Monstad and I am conducting research as part of my MSc Occupational Therapy degree at Leeds Beckett University exploring whether rock climbing can influence health and well being.

Despite the building understanding that participation in nature-based and extreme sports can have positive physical and mental benefits, there remains little research on the specific benefits outdoor rock climbing can have on health and well being.

The aim of the research is to understand the effects at least monthly participation in rock climbing has on health on well being within adults aged 18+ in the UK. This research will help lead to a greater understanding of the unique benefits rock climbing can have, with the aim to build a greater evidence base for its therapeutic use within the UK.

Participants must be aged 18+, live in the UK and have rock climbed at least monthly within the last year.

The survey should take about 10 minutes to complete.

Please follow the link below for more information and to be directed to the survey:

https://leedsbeckettmhr.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b443NFpFBIEcZHD

Thanks!

trouserburp 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Bleu Monstad:

I liked this! One note- the comments box for injury question wouldn't work

Somebody always asks and hardly anybody ever does but tell us the findings

Alkis 02 Apr 2020

Pretty good survey! Good luck with your project.

Note: the textual follow-on question after the injury multiple choice did not appear correctly. The question label was there but no text box.

Bleu Monstad 02 Apr 2020
In reply to trouserburp:

Thank you for completing and pointing out the error with the question, this has now been amended for future respondents. 

I will hopefully be able to share the results upon completion of the research in September 

Done. One of the better thought out surveys.

Hope the research goes well.

profitofdoom 03 Apr 2020

Done

Good survey

Good luck with your studies

Martin Bennett 03 Apr 2020

Best wishes with your project. For once your questions indicate you understand the genre. I'd be interested to see the age split over the questions asking "why?". My feeling is that more old codgers like me will say it's for fun and more younger climbers will bare their souls in professing that it helps with their angst. I wonder if, if true, this says more about life in the 21st as opposed to the 20th century than it does about climbing.

pwo 04 Apr 2020

For once a nicely thought out questionnaire. My wife's a Paediatric OT (retired) and was particularly interested in your research. Please post your findings if poss. Good luck with it all in light of the considerable disruption exploding. As a genuine old git codger "why do you climb?"... It's a way of life.

Bob Bennett 04 Apr 2020

Good questionaire and good subject to research, would like to see the results posted also

greg_may_ 04 Apr 2020

Good survey - but note that people who climb alone can't easily answer some of the questions.

Hope the conference goes well.

sheelba 04 Apr 2020

Agree with many of the comments above, generally very good questions. However I do feel that they were largely assuming that climbing would have a positive effect on these things, I guess that is the point of the research but I would have thought that if you were interested in the positive side you would also be interested in the negative side. I think the question about the effect on relationships was a good one but I felt that there could have been more in that vein. Some more ideas of the possible negative side of climbing:

Climbing as egotistical and harmfully competitive

Climbing as compulsive/addictive

Climbing as leading to a neglecting of family, friends, wider more productive socially useful pursuits

Climbing as stressful and exacerbating stress and unhappiness in other areas of life

Climbing as leading to feelings of inadequacy and frustration

Climbing as contributing to exhaustion/burnout 

I'm sure there are more but this what I could come up with based on my own experience, friends and testimony from pro climbers. There have been times in my life when I think that climbing has had a overall negative impact on me but I’ve kept doing it out of compulsion. 

Post edited at 19:28
 misterb 12 Apr 2020

Great questionnaire and really made me think

andrew ogilvie 19 Apr 2020

I agree with other correspondents that this was a much more interesting, insightful and better designed questionnaire than others on this site. ( I suppose I mean that you asked the questions that I felt were important to answer. )

Hope the responses are of value. 

Completed - quite enjoyed this it made me think a lot 

Good luck 

Nik 29 Apr 2020

Completed, would be really interested to read the outcome of your research, will it be publicly available?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...