SMC's Highland Scrambles North on Rockfax Digital

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

premier post photo

Over the past year the Scottish Mountaineering Club (SMC) has been working with Rockfax to digitise their back catalogue of climbing guidebooks. Earlier this year Scottish Sport Climbs was added to Rockfax Digital, joining Scottish Winter Climbs and some select crags from Scottish Rock Climbs and Polney from Highland Outcrops South.

Highland Scrambles North represents the first of the SMC's scrambling guides to be released in digital format and covers the wealth of scrambling across the grade range to be found north of the Great Glen and in the Western Isles.

The collection includes: Ben Loyal, Ben Hope, Crankstackie, Foinaven, Ben Stack, Ben More, Assynt, Suilven, Cul Mor, Cul Beag, Stac Pollaidh, Beinn an Eoin, Ben Mor Coigach, Seana Bhraigh, Cona' Mheall, An Teallach, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Beinn a' Chasgein Mor, A' Mhaighdean, An Groban, Meall Aundrary, Meall Ceann na Creige, Beinn Alligin, Liathach, Beinn Eighe, Ruadh, Stac Beag, Slioch, Beinn Bhan, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Aonach air Chrith, The Saddle, An Cliseam (Clisham), Gillaval Dubh.

Find out more...

metrorat 08 Oct 2020
In reply to ROCKFAX:

Scottish Rock is not complete and Highland Outcrops south only has one crag in the app.  This blurb makes its sound like they are complete guides, it’s a bit misleading.  I for one find it weird that Rockfax have elected to put their efforts into adding a scrambling guide to the app when two of the most popular guides are still incomplete.   

mchardski 08 Oct 2020
In reply to metrorat:

Taking your info on face value...this implies the advert above is at best negligent,  if not dishonest.... and wouldn't be acceptable in normal circles.  I think Ukc is great and a great resource, but am not convinced it sits comfortably with me that it can (mis) advertise it's own incomplete works on its own forum without being held properly to account,(able to censor as it sees fit) thereby undermining more thorough traditional publications.  First it was outdoor shops, next it will be guidebooks. For now, i,ll buy the guidebook.. 

mchardski 09 Oct 2020
In reply to mchardski:

Well that was fairly pretentious. Must have been in a pretty crap mood last night! ...off to grab my hypocrite hat while checking out if the Rockfax app has Sardinia in it cos the guidebooks seem bloody expensive.  

metrorat 09 Oct 2020
In reply to mchardski:

You've got a point though.  If someone reads that advert and then subscribes to the app thinking they will get a digital copy of Scottish Rock and of Highland Outcrops South they will feel pretty dicked over when they realise most of the crags are missing from those guides. 

metrorat 09 Oct 2020
In reply to metrorat:

No comment from UKC, just some tumbleweed...

mchardski 10 Oct 2020
In reply to metrorat:

The noose tightens...and they doesnt even have sardinia ffs. 

In reply to ROCKFAX:

Hi all,

Sorry, we've now clarified the text so it better describes what is on the app. We're working with the SMC to finish digitising Scottish Rock but we're doing it in chunks between other work as it's quite a big job.

You can see a full list of available crags without a Rockfax Digital subscription. This can be found under Downloads.

Cheers,
Martin

Post edited at 12:05
 Gary Latter 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

That’s great news - thanks for digitising my Scottish Rock books!😜

Think you’re referring to the SMC ‘Scottish Rock Climbs’ volume...

In reply to Gary Latter:

Hi Gary,

Whilst Martin may take the flak about, that - and this - is indeed my fault and has now been updated.

Rob

Post edited at 12:56
In reply to Gary Latter:

My apologies Gary!

Gary Latter 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Nae bother - thanks for the free plug! 😎

Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 26 Oct 2020
In reply to mchardski:

What no app for Sardinia?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...