Save the Olive Branch El Chorro

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 MischaHY 27 Nov 2020

Alright folks - looks like the Olive Branch are in a spot of bother with the massive drop in tourism from Corona restrictions. 

I'm sure many UKC members will have had fantastic experiences staying with these guys, so let's chip in and keep things rolling so we can all go back there in the future. 

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-the-olive-branch-el-chorro 

ebdon 27 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks for sharing, would be really sad to see this go.

In reply to MischaHY:

I've been going to the Olive Branch for over a decade now. I've never in all my time as a climber found a place quite as welcoming and relaxing, and Gary and Mel have become lifelong friends. Anyone who can spare even a fiver, it would be really appreciated by them to get through this difficult winter and ensure that we have this unique place for years to come.

Bear in mind that the larger pledges, you get your money back in free stays, so it doesn't even have to cost you anything in the long run! Go on, you know its the right thing to do

In reply to MischaHY:

I've only been once but blimming loved it and have been wanting to return ever since. It'd be a shame to see this place go so I'll be dashing some brass their way, it might give me the impetus to get back once all this has blown over. 

Cheers for sharing

SiobhanStraver 27 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Oh man. The olive branch is one of those places where if you need a trip but have no partners you can just turn up and find a family’s worth of friends, would be so tragic to lose. Thanks for sharing this! 

In reply to MischaHY:

Really sad news and I will make a donation. We really enjoyed staying there.

Thanks for flagging this.

auld al 28 Nov 2020
In reply to I like climbing:

> Really sad news and I will make a donation. We really enjoyed staying there.

> Thanks for flagging this.

+1, have donated, if anyone deserves a bit of help, it's Mel and Gary 

AndyC 28 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

The chip is in

OP MischaHY 28 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Nice one folks, let's keep this at the top for a while so plenty of people can spot it 😄

LakesWinter 28 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Nice one Mischa.

Big Rich 28 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

stayed there a a couple of times - awesome place, would be a shame if ceases to exist!

GrahamD 28 Nov 2020
In reply to Big Rich:

When I first went there, they'd only just cottoned on to the fact that they were on the middle of a climbing mecca ! I think their original business plan revolved around having a fitness centre.

Always seemed friendly and relaxed.

OP MischaHY 30 Nov 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I think this is slowly but surely playing a role in the overall business with the yoga/Pilates courses etc. 

It's the first place I ever went on a non UK climbing trip and at the time absolutely blew my mind (never having seen any big limestone walls before!). 

Still never made it up to Makinodromo despite being in Chorro three times so it'd grand to be able to go back. 

Thanks for the donations folks, let's keep it going 💪🏻😄

OP MischaHY 30 Nov 2020
In reply to LakesWinter:

> Nice one Mischa.

Nice one yourself 😉 

LakesWinter 30 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Dont know who disliked that but it wasnt me?! Hope you're well mate

OP MischaHY 30 Nov 2020
In reply to LakesWinter:

> Dont know who disliked that but it wasnt me?! Hope you're well mate

Oh, I seem to get dislikes on everything these days. I've stopped caring! You can't make everyone happy. 

I'll send you a social PM so this thread stays on track  

Jim Climber 30 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Donated, and shared. 

Good luck to the Olive Branch, hopefully they can ride-out these tough times

Roberttaylor 30 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks for posting this. Gary and Mel are such welcoming people and the OB is such a convenient place for a quick week in the sun, it'd be a real loss if it closed down.

Alkis 30 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Donated. My easters wouldn't be the same without the OB.

OP MischaHY 01 Dec 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks again everyone. Gary and Mel are posting thanks on their Facebook page in case anyone was wondering  

dinodinosaur 01 Dec 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

I do find it interesting how your forum posts generate dislikes... Like who dislikes trying to help people in need out?

Also just bumping the thread a bit so it stays in view. 

Post edited at 18:26
 GrahamD 02 Dec 2020
In reply to dinodinosaur:

> I do find it interesting how your forum posts generate dislikes... Like who dislikes trying to help people in need out?

Maybe some people don't like being asked outright for money ? Who knows.

OP MischaHY 02 Dec 2020

> I do find it interesting how your forum posts generate dislikes... Like who dislikes trying to help people in need out?

> Also just bumping the thread a bit so it stays in view. 

In the end it doesn't matter, as long as the message reaches the people who care  

Looks like it's a pinned post now for the moment. Thanks UKC team! 

Roberttaylor 04 Dec 2020

I can understand why some people might object to a business asking for what, in some instances, will be donations. It grates on folk who have a job and work hard that someone might be asking for something for free, in order to pursue their preferred mode of life. I feel like that when I see someone asking for sponsorship money to go on holiday up Everest. If everyone who has been hit financially by Corona was on UKC asking for handouts there wouldn't be much room for anything else. A bit like a big banner that pops up and asks you for cash once a day

This is different, though. Yes, the OB is a business, but it's also a shared resource. It's a cheap place to stay, with friendly hosts, and it's very much at the heart of the climbing community in El Chorro.

Also, if you send over a set amount and you were planning on going back to the OB anyway you're just paying for your holiday a bit further in advance than normal. 

Cobra_Head 08 Dec 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

The Facebook sharing wasn't working for me, which means they'll be getting less coverage.

Alkis 10 Dec 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

I've shared it with UoN Climbing Club, who have been going there every year for the past decade. Obviously, the majority of them still being students, donations are probably gonna be small, but there is a fair number of alumni following (myself included).

OP MischaHY 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Alkis:

Nice one that's ace 🙏🏻

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...