Northern Rock - Pre-Order Special Offer

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Wired Guides 15 Mar 2022

After 6 years of work by a team of over 100 dedicated local volunteers, the long-awaited Northern Rock is here! 608 pages filled to bursting with the best trad, sport and bouldering that Yorkshire Grit, Yorkshire Limestone, Northumberland, Lancashire and the North York Moors have to offer.

The latest in the series from Wired Guides, Northern Rock assembles the expertise of the local activists behind each area’s definitive guides to bring you beautiful selective coverage. All of the familiar stomping grounds are included among the book’s 63 crags: Almscliff, Malham, Wilton, Scugdale, the Bowdens. The guide also showcases some of the quieter spots – the windswept majesty of Callerhues, the adventurous chasms of Strans and Crook Gill, and the recently revamped Egerton Quarry among them.

Northern Rock champions multi-disciplinary climbing. There are heaps of trad and sport climbs within its pages but those who prefer pad to trad will not be wanting, with the world-class circuits of Caley, Slipstones and Kyloe in the Woods being just a few of the bouldering spots given detailed coverage.

Pre-Orders can be made at a discounted rate through the Climbers' Club Online Shop: £31.40m (from £36.95 - 15% OFF)

Place your Pre-Order Now

dunc56 17 Mar 2022
In reply to Wired Guides:

I had shares in Northern Rock and look what happened.

oscaig 20 Mar 2022
In reply to Wired Guides:

Not being deliberately pedantic (and genuine  question), but shouldn't this more realistically be Northern English Rock?  Appreciate its a Wired not SMC guide so you could easily figure out the geography.  But just feels a bit dismissive of anything 'north of the border' at a time when the union is under pressure anyway...  And you also can't say that Wired automatically equals England & Wales when they have a Selected Scottish Climbs guide coming out some time with the SMC. 

deacondeacon 22 Mar 2022
In reply to oscaig:

It's a book. They could have called it 'Some well cool routes above Bradford but below Berwick' if they wanted. The naming of a climbing guide shouldn't be dragged into any political consciousness.

Will Hunt 22 Mar 2022
In reply to oscaig:

Thanks for your interest, oscaig. The north of England is commonly referred to simply as the North (with a capital N) and people from this region (even as far south as Sheffield would you believe?!) refer to themselves as Northerners. When looking for a title we settled on Northern Rock as it seemed to roll off the tongue nicely and carved out an identity for itself while not being too similar to other titles covering a similar area.

Of course, no disservice was intended to Scotland.

Good suggestion, Deacon, but don't forget the problems as well as the routes! Maybe North of the M62 and South of the Scottish Border But Not The Lake District Rock?

Post edited at 11:13
 oscaig 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

No worries - obviously just me having a pedantic moment then!   Not sure why it slightly grated but must have caught me at a 'scratchy' moment   

Looks like a great guide though and I'm sure it'll be up to the high standard of other Wired products (of which I have a number). 

Any word when the new SMC selected routes collaboration might be ready?  

Will Hunt 22 Mar 2022
In reply to oscaig:

Scottish Rock is hot on our heels. Should be out in May/June I believe.

Sterling 22 Mar 2022
In reply to oscaig:

It's just a name, and accepting that it's a different musical genre, I did kinda hope a tenuous link to the idea and positivity of Northern Soul (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul) might lend a little spark.    Whatever, it's just a book title.  The important thing is that I hope you enjoy it when you get your copy...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...