Everest the Hard Way talk by Doug Scott CBE

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
premier post photo
Everest The Hard Way talk by Doug Scott CBE at the Embassy of Nepal, London – Tues 21 March

The talk and exhibition are being hosted by the Embassy of Nepal in London as a part of their bicentennial celebration of relations between Nepal and the UK.

Legendary mountaineer, Doug Scott CBE, will be telling the story of how he and Dougal Haston made the first ascent of the world’s highest mountain by its massive South West Face in September 1975. Their epic climb would go down in mountaineering history as ‘Everest the Hard Way’.
On the descent their torches failed as they reverse climbed the Hillary Step, wind had blown snow into their steps and they were out of oxygen. Doug comments “the main thing was to get out of the wind so we dug a snow cave and sat on our rucksacks for the next nine hours in temperatures around minus 40°C. We managed to survive without sleeping bags, without oxygen and – as it turned out – without getting frostbite. The next result for me was to really widen the range of where and how I would climb in the future. I know for sure that from then on I would not be carrying cylinders of oxygen”.
Using a lightweight approach, Doug went on to continue his outstanding mountaineering career – making over forty first ascents in the Himalaya and Greater Ranges. He also felt a need to set out to help the mountain people of Nepal who had helped him achieve these climbs. He did this by setting up the charity Community Action Nepal. Doug will provide an update on the progress made with reconstruction of CAN projects, such as health posts and schools, which were so badly damaged by the Nepal earthquake on 25 April 2015. Doug will also be signing copies of his award winning autobiography 'Up And About'.

The talk accompanies an exhibition of paintings Return to Langtang by Stephen King. Proceeds from the evening including 50% of the moneys raised from the sale of Stephen King’s paintings throughout the exhibition, will be donated to Community Action Nepal to help support its work. CAN has a long history in the Langtang, building the Langtang and Mundu Schools, contributing to a hydroelectric power generator, building a Stupa and holding mobile Health and Dental camps in the Valley. Since the earthquake CAN has rebuilt Mundu school, put in a big Community Centre at Kjanjing, contributed to a Memorial to the Langtang village victims and plans are in process to build a Demonstration Home and an Old People's Hostel Complex at Kjanjing. The charity has also promised to rebuild the school when the community has resettled in the Valley, probably not until 2019/20.

Date and time: Tuesday 21 March 2017 from 7.00 pm – 8.50 pm.
Doors will open at 6.15 pm. Wine, beer and soft drinks will be served before the talk and during the interval; a cash donation to cover the cost of this is requested.
Venue: Embassy of Nepal, Main Hall, 12A Kensington Palace Gardens, Kensington, London W8 4QU.
Accessibility: Please note that the Main Hall is accessible only by the front steps to the front floor of the Embassy. We regret it is not accessible by wheelchair, nor is it equipped with an induction loop for those with hearing impairments.
For further information about the talk and exhibition look on www.nepembassy.org.uk www.stephenkinggallery.com or www.canepal.org.uk
Tickets: £20. To book a ticket email deniseprior@canepal.org.uk.
Or book online (with booking fee) through the websites or Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/everest-the-hard-way-by-doug-scott-cbe-at-em...
estivoautumnal 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Denise Prior CAN:

Anyone over 40 has probably heard this lecture before...but...It's great! I still have an autographed pic that is shown above on my office wall, signed so long ago that it has completely faded, so its now an unsigned pic.

One thing I would like to add, if anyone is going to a Doug Scott talk please take some cash. The charity he supports does some incredible work and I'm sure there will be a donations box doing the rounds.
 David Bennett 19 Jan 2017
In reply to estivoautumnal:
You cannot take away from the event that was the south west face. I think this an amazing route which really captured the imagination of the public. For climbers though the recount of the ogre experience would hold so much more. Doug is "hard".

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...