Charity book sale, classics and rare postcard

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

I am completing a sponsored walk for St David’s Hospice in Llandudno.

In January this year we lost a lovely lady to Cancer who had a prolonged stay at the hospice before passing away peacefully aged only 52. The staff where phenomenal and so caring despite everything Covid could throw at us.

To boost fund’s I’m offering a number of scarce climbing / mountaineering books at good prices (compared to what is available on-line) and also an extremely rare signed postcard by Reinhold Messner from his Everest Solo expedition.

If you are interested in purchasing please email me at allanfairfechan@outlook.com and I can send photos of each book. To purchase I ask that payment be made to the St David’s Hospice 500 hearts page at https://stdavidshospice.enthuse.com/pf/allan-mcdonald

Once you’ve made payment please email me your address details and I’ll post the book out to you. Please also remember gift-aid which will increase your donation by 25%

All prices include postage.

Thank you

Allan

Moors Crags & Caves of the High Peak by Ernest Baker

1st Edition 1901, Hardcover in pictorial boards, very good condition and binding nice and tight. (A classic work on the early climbs, scrambles and walks in the Peak)  £40.00

The Seventh Grade by Reinhold Messner

1st Edition 1974, Hardcover with dust jacket which is only slightly faded spine (most copies have a faded spine). The mountaineers first book of his early Alpine climbs.  £35.00

Scrambles Amongst the Alps by Edward Whymper

5th Edition 1900 (the last edition revised by Whymper), Hardcover in very good condition. Published by John Murray and not the Thos. Nelson copy of the same year. The most famous of early mountaineering books and still a great read and one that has never been out of print. A beautiful book in blue boards with gilt to spine. £45.00

The Playground of Europe by Leslie Stephen

New Edition (1894 – not the cheaper silver library edition).

Hardcover with gilt image to the front boards and spine in good condition.

Another Alpine classic which (I find) still reads well.  £25.00

Nanda Devi by Eric Shipton

1st Edition (true) 1936. Hardcover with bright titling to spine in very good condition with plates covered by tissue as issued. An absolute classic detailing Shipton and Tilman’s first foray into the Nanda Devi sanctuary – love this book. £50.00

The Magic of Mont Blanc by Walter Bonatti

1st Edition 1985, Hardcover with dust wrapper in very good condition. A lovely (and very heavy) large format coffee table book. Stunning photographs by the legendary Italian mountaineer of his beloved Mont Blanc.  £30.00

The Fight for Everest by Col. E F Norton

1st Edition 1925, Hardcover ex-library re-bind in good only condition as has usual library stamps etc. All plates present and all pull-out maps are complete to the rear. The account of the 1924 Everest expedition with the first telling of the disappearance of Mallory & Irvine. A great read I found. £45.00

Signed Everest postcard by Reinhold Messner from his Everest Solo expedition of 1980. A very rare item as there were only two people on the north side of Everest and with no mail runner they were never posted and I understand (from the reputable dealer I bought it from) the majority were lost on their trip back out from Base Camp. The post card is signed by Messner with red ink stamp stating “Messner solo expedition Everest North Face 1980”. The postcard is from Peking (Foreign Languages Press) and I’ve had a photographic copy made of the front image which is mounted alongside the original in a solid oak frame. A really rare item. £250.00

In reply to Allanfairfechan:

Before paying please make sure that any payment is on my St Davids page, thank you

Linda Orritt 15 Jun 2021

Hi Allan. I have sent you an email. 

In reply to Linda Orritt:

Hello,

I dont appear to have received an email but that may be as I've recently changed it on here, my new email is allanfairfechan@outlook.com 

Thank you

Allan

Nanda Devi has now been sold, thank you

Scrambles and Playground also now sold - Thank you

I've also sent you an email.

jcm

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

No email received john

Moors, Crags & Caves now sold, thank you

bonebag 27 Jun 2021

Hi Allan,

Have you received an e-mail from me regarding The Playground of Europe by Leslie Stephen.

In reply to bonebag:

Hello,

Sorry no email received but playground was sold.

Kind regards

Allan

bonebag 02 Jul 2021

No worries Allan and good luck with the sponsored walk. I hope it goes well for you.

In reply to bonebag:

Thank you all done now

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...