CAC Climber Against Cancer Fundraise

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 balandino_dd 13 Feb 2019

In challenging myself with my first multi-pitch route (any advice is welcome), I've decided to focus my effort also in raising funds towards cancer research, an inititiative organised by CAC - Climbers Agains Cancer.
On 30th and 31st March, together with my mate Joe, I'll attempt to climb some challenging routes and hopefully a multi-pitch one.

If you wish to contribute to this initiative, please DONATE here: https://givi.ng/t7jf

Valkyrie1968 13 Feb 2019
In reply to balandino_dd:

There's nothing on that page about what you're going to actually do. Clearly CAC is a great cause and raising money for it is wonderful, but you might want to lay out how exactly you'll be challenging yourself - specific route(s), and probably a little about yourself to contextualise why it'll be a challenge. That should be enough to avoid cynics spouting drivel about you seeking sponsorship to simply go climbing.

All the best with it

OP balandino_dd 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

Fair enough!! you are totally right! Thank you very much for your advice.
I'm a novice in both climbing and fundraising, but enthusiast to help the community!

Please, any advice is more than welcome! Also in how to learn climbing multi-pitch routes. Climbing one or maybe more than one on the 30th-31st weekend is my challenge

slab_happy 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

> That should be enough to avoid cynics spouting drivel about you seeking sponsorship to simply go climbing.

Also the fundraising site seems to give donations directly to the charity, so that isn't an issue here.

I agree that more info would be great, though.

In reply to slab_happy:

yes, funds are not for me to go climbing but, these will go straight to the CAC.
I'm trying to improve the page, please any suggestion is welcome! Also on the route to pick for the challenge, considering I'm totally new to multi-pitch

slab_happy 14 Feb 2019

> Also on the route to pick for the challenge, considering I'm totally new to multi-pitch

I'd say you should think about what will be inspiring (and challenging but in a manageable way) for you.

You mentioned in your other post that you're going to be climbing with a friend who has a lot of trad experience, but that you're more confident with sport climbing.

So you could look at some of the sport multi-pitch routes linked in that thread, or alternatively there are some great low-graded multi-pitch trad routes that can provide a great day out -- for example:

Sub-Cneifion Rib (VD)

If you know the basics of how to place gear and build an anchor, or can learn, swinging leads on something like that could be very feasible. The climbing will be very easy for you, but that's the context you want if you're practicing new skills, and it's a great route.

In reply to slab_happy:

Thanks! that seems like very great advice.

Yes, my mate is a very good climber and does some ice climbing too. He has inspired me to try some trad and multi-pitch I've to admit that watching free solo has also pushed me in doing one more step in my climbing.

Thank you all for the support!

OP balandino_dd 15 Feb 2019

quick update. For who what's to know more about this initiative I've set up a page on my website and on Facebook. Links below  

http://www.balandinodidonato.com/climbingforresearch/ 

https://www.facebook.com/climbingforresearch/

slab_happy 16 Feb 2019

> I've to admit that watching free solo has also pushed me in doing one more step in my climbing.

Oh, me too, un-cool as it may be to be motivated by a climbing film that's had "mainstream" success.  *g*

It's funny watching the media concern-trolling about "what if inspires people to rush out and impulsively free-solo things and then die???", when the actual effect seems more often to be getting people psyched about working in a disciplined way towards our goals (which are generally not free-soloing El Cap) and expanding our comfort zones. And maybe eating more vegetables.

I'm doing three challenges for CAC but I haven't done my fundraising page yet. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...