Which film for landscape/climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 01 Sep 2019

I've recently bought an Olympus OM-2N to play around with and have been using Kodak Ektar 100 to shoot landscape and climbing shots.

I like the saturation and contrast with Ektar, however as I shoot mainly handheld I'm finding that I'm having to shoot at slow shutter speeds.

What other films do others use for climbing and mountaineering photography? Something around ISO 200-400 with good saturation and contrast would be ideal.
I've been previously recommended Kodak Ultramax 400 and Fuji Superia X-tra 400.

Post edited at 12:28
 jethro kiernan 01 Sep 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Velvia 50 super discipline required 😀📷

its been so long but extachrome was okay at 200 I really don’t know what available.

I’ve got some iford fp4 in my old Nikon fm2 that I was getting my daughter to use 😏complete with 50mm lens

timparkin 01 Sep 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

I'd use Portra 400 and rate it  at 800 and you'll get some cracking results. Velvia 50 is beautiful but  it's tough. If you want to use a transparency film, try Provia 100 and rate it at 400 and then ask for a 2 stop push when you send  it for developing.

greg_may_ 01 Sep 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Second for Porta.

You can shoot Ektar at 200 and it's still quite decent.

In reply to Alpenglow:

When I was shooting film for mountain landscape and climbing as a full-time professional about a 1/4 century ago (pre-digital days), Provia was more or less industry standard.

In reply to Alpenglow:

FP4 of course, push it a couple of stops for action shots. Mine is a Nikon F2.

Your phone is for colour pictures 😂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...