Which camera would you recommend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 11 Dec 2019

I'm basically looking to get into photography and video and I'm looking to find a camera which is suitable. I am a bit rough with my kit so I am looking for something which is reasonably rugged and potentially weatherproof. I want to be able to shoot 4k video at 60fps. Can't weigh the earth for obvious reasons, and I would probably want a zoom lens from 24-150 or something like that, most likely four thirds mount? Also I'd really like the touch screen to b reversible to provide it some protection as I would most likely use the EVS for most things.

I've been looking at Olympus, at particularly the Pen-F but then read that the video is pretty rubbish on this. Any ideas for a clueless Noob?

HeMa 11 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

As a quick advice. Instead of framerate for vid, look for streamsize. 

really good cameras manage about 150 MBit/s @UHD 4K 60 fps (like videospecific Pany GH5s). For ref. GoPro Hero8 says max 100 MBit/s for 4K, but I doubt it’s for 60fps. Most likely for 24/25/30 fps.

MisterPiggy 11 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

I second the suggestion of Panasonic GH5. A couple of video journalist friends use them for work in Ethiopia and Philippines. Rugged kit.

But you still have to take care of anything you buy; I'd suggest anything sophisticated enough to fulfill your specifications will not be as bomb proof as one of those 'tough' cameras most manufacturers offer.

So a good bag would be essential!

Alpenglow 11 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Panasonic G90/G95 with 12-60 (24-120eq.)?

phizz4 11 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

https://alpineexposures.com/phototips/tips-from-the-pros-which-camera-gear

Uses an Olympus OM E 5 mark 2. The newer mark 3 is out and would satisfy your requirements.

Initial review here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-iii-review

OP beardy mike 11 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

What do people think of the Panasonic G7? It's kind of bargain basement but gets some decent reviews...

StefanB 11 Dec 2019
In reply to phizz4:

> Uses an Olympus OM E 5 mark 2. The newer mark 3 is out and would satisfy your requirements.

I just got the mark 3 and have taken it out for two test shoots. Downsized from a Canon 80D for portability and the difference is amazing. I manage to handhold 1-second exposure with the fantastic image stabilization.

To the OP: the E5 mark 3 is weatherproof, but as with all cameras, you need the lense to be weatherproof as well. Ad a quality 24-150 zoom is likely to be quite expensive even without the weather sealing.

For Olympus you can get a very good 12-100, which gives you even more range taking into account the crop factor. But it's not cheap.

HeMa 11 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Basically it is still a very good camera. A poor mans GH4. 

that being said, shell out an extra 100 or so and get a GH4 (slightly better bitrate and Possibly log-profile for better post processing). Granted slightly bigger than the G7.

OP beardy mike 11 Dec 2019
In reply to StefanB:

What do you think of it for Video?

HeMa 11 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Just realized that If you’re mostly thinking about video, the perhaps the BlackMagic Pocket Camera 4K can be had at good deals as the gear ho’s are upgrading to the 6K model. 

Price wise it’s about GH5 range. But has some pros and con’s. Pros is ability to record directly to external SSD (like Samsung T5), con is the battery. 

The Lemming 11 Dec 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> that being said, shell out an extra 100 or so and get a GH4 (slightly better bitrate and Possibly log-profile for better post processing). Granted slightly bigger than the G7.

I have a GH4 and I can't rate it highly enough. In fact I have no desire to upgrade to a GH5 and this is for two reasons. The first reason is that when the GH5 first was released I spoke to a Panasonic Rep in a local camera store who told me that there wasn't much in it for a punter like myself between the GH4 and GH5. That was quite impressive of a Panasonic Rep to be so honest.

And the second reason is that the GH5 has a terrible reputation for focus hunting while filming. This ruins head shot videos. I believe that the latest Firmware has almost eliminated this problem But almost isn't good enough for me.

When I bought my GH4, I paid Top Dollar because it was a newish camera. But the GH4 is now a 5 year old bit of kit. That's not to say that it can't hold its own, because it can, but now there are some excellent second-hand bargains to be had if you want a fully weather proof camera with a magnesium body.

A used GH4 from mpb.com will set you back 460 notes body only. I don't think you can buy a new one. However you could buy a GH5 for £1,150 body only for a handful of extra features that you may never use.

I have Panasonic lenses which means that I will probably stay in the Panasonic ecosystem however I will wait for the GH6 to appear before I even consider upgrading but it will have to have the focusing problems fixed before I even think of buying another camera.

At this very moment I love micro four thirds cameras and have no desire to go full-frame and have to carry around very heavy glass lenses to go with the bigger cameras.

jethro kiernan 11 Dec 2019
OP beardy mike 12 Dec 2019
In reply to HeMa:

I had been looking at the BM Pocket Camera but figured as I really don't know where it will take me at the moment that I'd be better off with something more versatile. I get the impression that the Pocket camera is massively good at one thing...

The Lemming 12 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

> I had been looking at the BM Pocket Camera but figured as I really don't know where it will take me at the moment that I'd be better off with something more versatile. I get the impression that the Pocket camera is massively good at one thing...

I've thought about a BM camera too but no continuous auto focus. It has auto focus.

youtube.com/watch?v=RT2vF_GgiU8&

HeMa 12 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

That ain't a problem when you're using manual focus lenses .

But yeah, unless you really want a cinema-camera, and want to also shoot stills, the hybrid cameras (GH4/5) or even reg. MLCs are what you want (G7, OM-D M5, G9 etc.).

Like mentioned above, my biased opinion is that a second hand GH4 (r if you can find it) will offer best bangs for bucks. For refernce the only difference betweeen GH4 and GH4r (which I have) is that the r-model has the vlog-l built in and can record more than 30 mins in one go...

The Lemming 12 Dec 2019
In reply to HeMa:

My GH4, which I think is not an r, came with vlog. However I don't use it. I know that its supposed to be better for a flat profile for colour editing and such like. But its all smoke and mirrors.

Yes its flat but the Histogram is just bumped to one side to try and keep the highlights. Those highlights are still clipped but other data is pushed to other side to give the illusion of detail saved. There is only so much that you can do with a small sensor and a consumer camera/software.

The GH4 is an awesome camera and added to a gimbal its almost orgasmic.

However if I was looking for a new camera that did video, and I had not spent a shit load on lenses, then I would go Sony 100%.

HeMa 12 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

> My GH4, which I think is not an r, came with vlog.

Yup, you can activate it by buying  a code from Pany... (still true for say GH5 and G9... GH4r is a video specific model like GH5s, hence  built-in with vlog-l).

And I can say that even in 8-bit (internal) it actually works. But for it to be really useful, you would need external 10-bit recorder.

The Lemming 12 Dec 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Bottom line, the best weather-sealed 4k camera that ticks every box the OP requires, and then some, is a second-hand Panasonic GH4.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/search/?www-product-search=gh4&www-department...

OP beardy mike 12 Dec 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks all, this has been pretty helpful. I must admit I just like the look of the olympus... I know thats the shittest reason to go for it will do more reading but you have helped narrow it down!

HeMa 12 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

The Oly is certainly sleek and good camera. 

And imho Oly has better colour out of the camera for stills.

That being said, they have been playing catch-up with Pany since at least GH3 and afaik are still in said role. But from what I have understood, the latest Olys are good options as well. Granted they are more of a mirrorless that also does video (so G7,G9 or the G85) than a video focused one like the GH-series.

DPreview seems to offer sound opinions and possibility and I recall spec comparisons. After initial research, best to visit a local shop that as all the shortlisted ones on stock... so you can have a play around and see what feels right.

Heck, unless you're hell bent on getting one with removable lens. The Sony and Pany megazoom might also be good options.

jethro kiernan 12 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Next step is to see what they feel like in the hand, I believe the GH will probably feel better with large hands.

Toerag 13 Dec 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

E-M5mk3 or E-M1 mk2 if your priority is stills, GH3/4 if your priority is video.  However, I think a lot of the video goodness in the GH series is only of value if you want to do serious video with grading and post-processing - for a punter the Olympuses are perfectly good enough, and offer the best handheld stability.

jethro kiernan 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Toerag:

I would agree even some of the pro videographers are shooting plain HD rather than 4K because of storage and processing issues. I’m only just really getting into videography and photography will remain number one. However I’m trading my Olympus OMD em5 mark I to a II partly for a slight improvement in video (and the microphone) I’ll let you know what it’s like for video if you still haven't made your mind up

good luck 

Toerag 13 Dec 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> I would agree even some of the pro videographers are shooting plain HD rather than 4K because of storage and processing issues.

Yep, I have a friend in exactly this boat - he freelances for Getty and travels all over the world doing so. For him it's a massive ball ache trying to find enough bandwidth to upload his footage. 4K is more futureproof and allows post-processing stability compensation and zooming, but for many things it's overkill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...