Which camera bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HammondR 24 Jul 2018

I am looking for a case/bag to carry a small LUMIX GF1 camera. This will be to keep the camera to hand principally for ski touring/mountaineering and alpinism. I have no idea where to start looking.

Thanks

Dark-Cloud 25 Jul 2018
In reply to HammondR:

Soooooo many options !

I normally default to LowePro for the smaller bags, well built good quality stuff, best idea is to try and get into a shop that stocks a decent range and see what suits.

chiroshi 25 Jul 2018
In reply to HammondR:

I would say: If you want it to hand, don't have it in a bag. 

I would only use a bag to protect the camera when in storage, i.e. inside my main bag, to stop it getting bashed and crushed by my other stuff.

If you are going to be using your camera, getting in and out of a bag will just add to the hassle and prevent you from getting the shot. I like the Peak design system of attaching a camera to your shoulder / waist strap, as it stops the camera swinging around and keeps it close to your body, where it is safe.

The only problem with that for ski touring / alpinism is the cold which can kill batteries quite quickly. If you are going to keep it inside your bag, get the smallest, least obtrusive pouch you can get, otherwise it starts taking up a lot of valuable pack space. Also think about where you pack it, I fell with my D3200 in the bottom of my pack and it smashed into my hip, breaking the battery compartment door, and hurting quite a bit. 

Mike_d78 25 Jul 2018
In reply to HammondR:

You might find this article useful.....Or insulting if you use peak design gear 

https://alpineexposures.com/phototips/tips-from-the-pros-which-camera-gear

tehmarks 25 Jul 2018
In reply to HammondR:

Bag alternative, if you want the camera to be to hand and thus actually used:

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/clips/capture/

Their 'Leash' also works well as a lanyard - but even better I've found is an ice tool spring leash.

Durbs 25 Jul 2018
In reply to HammondR:

For a single camera, without extra lenses, I'm not sure you really need a bag for it, unless it's the only thing you're carrying, in which case there's a LOT of options, mostly driven by how much stuff you're actually putting it in the bag; batteries, wipes, memory cards etc.

I'm another HUGE fan of the Peak Design capture clip - I'd go as far as saying it's the single best camera-purchase I've made. Clip it to your belt or rucksack strap and it's always to hand - no strap needed at all, just clip it back on when you're done.  Though I likely wouldn't  want it sitting there during a climb, it's perfectly comfortable for a walk. 

chiroshi 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Mike_d78:

Who cares if I look like a tit if I'm the one taking the photos!

tjhare1 25 Jul 2018
In reply to HammondR:

I use an Olympus OMD EM5 (2) and have resorted to carrying it in a smallish chalk bag. Clipped to the shoulder strap (underneath my armpit, letting it slide all the way down), it doesn't get in the way, can be accessed one handed and is reasonably protected. If you want to beef up the protection, just cut a hole in the lining, fill with bubble wrap or bits of old karrimat and then sew back up. Simple, cheap, reasonably effective.

Post edited at 17:46
 Ross McGibbon 25 Jul 2018
In reply to tjhare1:

Loads of really cheap new ones on eBay. I just picked up a Crumpler one for £4 that fits an RX100ii perfectly. And Crumpler stuff is indestructible.

rgold 25 Jul 2018
In reply to HammondR:

A solid negative vote for the capture clip for climbing or scrambling.  The camera is both in the way and vulnerable in those activities.

Additionally, and this might just be a lack of enough practice on my part, I find it quite fiddly to get the camera properly seated in the clip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...