Which A3 printer to buy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 20 Feb 2018

I'm looking at buying an A3 photo printer. Any thoughts on which is the best one? Budget is around £500. There are so many conflicting reviews it would be good to get some personal recommendations. 

d_b 20 Feb 2018
In reply to estivoautumnal:

I don't own an A3 printer but in my experience the mid range Kyocera lasers are reasonably inexpensive to run and last forever.  I have been using one of their A4 models for some time now.

jethro kiernan 20 Feb 2018

I have been pleased with my canon pixma pro 100s, the pixma pro 10 was meant to be marginally better at B&W so depends on how you value that aspect.

estivoautumnal 21 Feb 2018
In reply to both:

Thanks.

I read that the Canon Pixma pro - 100s came out top, editor’s choice, of the Digital Camera recent review (appreciate that it might not be that helpful as not a personal recommendation) and seems good value.  https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-photo-printers-2017-t...

I’m starting to look around for a new printer so interested to read that Jethro is happy with it.

jethro kiernan 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

What I haven’t tried is generic ink, I’ve stuck with canon, there are meant to be quite good third party inks I just haven’t tried them

it has been fairly economical but I only use it for photos 

ChrisJD 26 Feb 2018

A cheaper Canon option to add to the mix is the Canon ip8750 (A3+) at <£200.

Uses a six ink dye system (the Pro-100s is an 8 dye inkset)

I've got the iP8700 and it does a good job.

But if I was spending your sort of budget, then I'd go Epson, so either the SC-P600 or SC-P400.

The P600 can also use roll media for panos.

Or save your pennies and go bigger to the A2 Paper SC-P800, which can also do roll media for bigger Panos. But you'll have to double your budget. 

Post edited at 19:49
 kevin stephens 26 Feb 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Yep.  I've the Canon ip8720 (I believe an earlier iteration of the ip8750?) very good for A3+ photos with six inks; one of which being grey.  I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between its output and that produced by the more expansive options.

ChrisJD 26 Feb 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

With the expensive pro-sumer photo printers you are getting pigment inks instead of dye inks:

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/articles/dyerorpigmentink.htm

If you're selling 'pro' prints, then pigment is the generally accepted way to go.

But most people don't need >25 year colour fastness

Post edited at 20:23
 shaun walby 23 Mar 2018

In reply

This is supposed to be very good, I don't own one but if I was buying....this would be it. clearly it isn't cheap https://www.wexphotovideo.com/epson-surecolor-sc-p800-printer-1571918/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...