What camera you carry while climbing ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
vberg 11 Sep 2017
Just got back from a trip to Gran Paradiso and as always I had my Canon 5D with me paired with a 24-70 USM L lens to take some decent photos - wondering others what types of cameras carry and for what reason ?

Would you climb with a 5D or would the roughly 1.6 kg extra be too much to take it ?
 mrphilipoldham 11 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

I occasionally take my 5D with battery grip and 17-40L, sometimes even the 1DX.. though it does seem to becoming rarer as my smart phone (of the Apple variety) takes more than acceptable pictures generally for the use they'll ever get - facebook!
vberg 11 Sep 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Yeah, I carry the iphone too but sometime we put together a book or get large prints to put on the wall ( think of something like 20 x 40 inch and larger.

But at least I'm not the only one with a heavy camera
 Mr. Lee 11 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

I've got a Sony Rx100 mk1 which I take on climbs. Fits in a pocket easily and takes decent photos for the price. It has a habit of under exposing in wintery settings but easy enough to sort out during editing.

I've got a Sony NEX-5N that I use for alpine trips or where I think I will get two hands free. Planning to upgrade to the Sony a6000 in the near future with the Sel1670z lens. I like the Sony mirrorless cameras because of their lightweight and small bulk. I find a full SLR a bit bulky for climbing/alpinism.
 Toerag 11 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

For multipitch climbing I take a Panasonic Lumix FT1 - small, simple, good zoom range. For VF I've taken my Olympus E-M5 across my shoulder with 17mm and 7.5mm fisheye lenses - the fisheye is great in tight spaces and offers an unusual perspective.
 AdrianC 11 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

I also lug around a 5D except on harder routes where I don't want the bulk. I miss having the flexibility of the SLR when it's not there. For something lighter I recently bought a Sony RX100 mk3 which, I'd have to say, I'm not super-impressed with.
 jethro kiernan 11 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

Olympus OMD 5 with a Panasonic/leica 15mm lens if I'm climbing, Nikon D7200 for other duties
 greg_may_ 11 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

RX100 mk1 here too. Works well and is tiny. Files are very malleable in Lr.

Heavier option is the a7 or M6 if I want to shoot film for some reason.
 Robert Durran 11 Sep 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

> RX100 mk1 here too.

Ditto for technical climbing or when weight is important.
In reply to vberg:

Another Rx100 mk1. Other than a lack of depth of field control it really does everything really well.
 nacnud 11 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

Nikon D60 or iphone 5c. Not too worried if either falls from a great height, hence they get to be there in the first place.
 Mike_d78 12 Sep 2017
In reply to vberg:

Nikon D7200 for bouldering and single pitch and a Panasonic LX100 for longer stuff. TBH unless I'm climbing difficult stuff then I'd be happy to take the 7200 with me on most things. Picture quality I would say trumps the added weight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...