Wana see some puffins?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 03 Jul 2022

Last month I took a trip to Inner Farne, to film the Puffins. Just thought I'd share my little episode as I'm quite chuffed with it.

I'd also appreciate any constructive comments on how I can improve my cinematography technique as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=oWasXURXZUQ&

Cheers muchly 😀

Cog 03 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks.

Welsh Kate 03 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Aw, I love puffins! Thanks

Bottom Clinger 03 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Loved it, thanks. 

In reply to The Lemming:

Every time I see a Chough in Cornwall, I feel pretty choughed.

deepsoup 03 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Lovely.

NathanP 03 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

That was really nicely done. It is about ten years since I visited the Farne Islands but your video brought back all my memories of visiting that special place and just makes me want to go back soon. Thanks very much for posting this.

Ian W 03 Jul 2022
In reply to NathanP:

> That was really nicely done. It is about ten years since I visited the Farne Islands but your video brought back all my memories of visiting that special place and just makes me want to go back soon. Thanks very much for posting this.

Unfortunately the national trust have closed the farnes to try help stop the avian flu spread, and protect the bird colonies there. The puffins are starting to head off anyway, and landings on Longstone are still allowed, but it looks like this year is over for inner farne. The non-landing cruises are unaffected, so the photographers will still be ok. There have been quite a lot of seabirds washed up on local beaches; I must say i was quite surprised at the size of some of them on bamburgh beach a couple of weeks ago.....those cormorants can get a bit big!

Ian W 03 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Quite good, I thought. One of my favourite day trips out, lost count of the number of times i've been to the farnes. My fave animals though, are the seals; some great fun had when diving there. And for absolute solitude, go away from the crowds on a longstone trip, just not far enough to upset the nesting auks and cormorants, who will very unpeacefully remind you that you are not welcome should you venture onto their territory...

And all this only 20 mins or so from Bowden.

E2A - no hints on cinematography, i'm rubbish at that type of thing.

Post edited at 21:50
 MisterPiggy 04 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Lovely weather !!!!

For constructive criticism... From the footage, it appears that you're shy of sticking your camera in people's faces. Your 'people' shots are all taken from behind. If you wanted to take them slightly differently, you could have asked to be inside the ticket booth and filmed the chap buying his ticket. Another idea might have been to show the boatman's hands tearing the ticket as the visitor boards the boat. Or film the expectation and excitement on people's faces as they descend the stairs, or approach the cliff faces. Finally, a camera (go-pro type) on the head, and hope to get dive bombed !

The lack of 'intimacy' aside, I thought it good: sharp focus, good expose, no jiggle-cam and clean audio.

And as I said, perfect weather - must have been a cracking day out !

Post edited at 10:14
OP The Lemming 04 Jul 2022

=-09yIn reply to MisterPiggy:

It was indeed a cracking day out. 😀

I shall work on the lack of close ups.

On the day I had to balance filming and not getting in people's faces as they enjoyed their day on a boat that cost quite a bit of money.

Would you be surprised that the camera was hand held most of the time with no gimbal.

MisterPiggy 04 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

"Would you be surprised that the camera was hand held most of the time with no gimbal."

Yes ! I thought gimbal for sure !

And I understand that you don't want to get in people's faces. My students were budding photojournalists so they had to grow thicker skins and get pushy, or risk failing their assignments. We would often debate the wider issues of privacy, personal space, commercial exploitation etc. If the film is just for personal consumption, then filming from behind is likely the best option. You should be OK getting some close-ups, with permission.

OP The Lemming 04 Jul 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

> You should be OK getting some close-ups, with permission.

I'm not shy in coming forward, its got me into some interesting locations. 😀

Since I got my new camera, the gimbal has sat unloved in its box. However I did use a tripod for the bird shots for a bit of smooth panning.

Looking back at my little projects I do realise that I don't film enough establishing stuff. I tend to zone in and forget about this and regret my options when editing.

I learn all this on the fly by trial and error and I've now got sucked down the rabbit hole of colour correction and grading.

BusyLizzie 04 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Adorable film, thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...