Video Stabilisation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 10 Jul 2017
Does anyone know of any good video Stabilisation software, preferably free or not too expensive. I have been using Microsoft Hyperlapse but the trial installation has now expired and with the few videos I make I cannot justify the cost of the full version. Unless I pay for the upgrade the final version appears with a watermark.
Thanks.
OP mypyrex 10 Jul 2017
Bump
 balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Software stabilisation software is pretty useless...I would suggest getting a Gimbal for the Camera instead. Otherwise, some video editing software has it (e.g. premiere Elements)
 CasWebb 10 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I've used Movavi from time to time which does an OK job. Obviously better to have stable video to start with though.
OP mypyrex 10 Jul 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks, but I'm talking about video taken with the GoPro attached via a chest or head harness whilst walking. Walking and carrying a gimbal at the same time in mountainous terrain strikes me as possibly a bit awkward.
OP mypyrex 10 Jul 2017
In reply to CasWebb:

> I've used Movavi from time to time which does an OK job. Obviously better to have stable video to start with though.

I've just got a trial version of that which I'm testing out.
 balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

That's exactly what I'm talking about: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=we...
OP mypyrex 11 Jul 2017
Just watched a video of the TMB and was impressed by how little camera shake and movement there was. I contacted the author who assured me that he used a GoPro on a selfie stick. Maybe then chest/head mounts followed by stabilisation are not the answer. I'm reverting to putting a handlebar mount on one of my trekking poles.
 ChrisJD 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

The in-camera electronic stabilisation on the GoPro 5 (Session 5 and the full size one) is pretty damn good. I've used many previous GoPros (and other action cams) and very impressed how stable the Session 5 footage is.
 FesteringSore 11 Jul 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

> The in-camera electronic stabilisation on the GoPro 5 (Session 5 and the full size one) is pretty damn good. I've used many previous GoPros (and other action cams) and very impressed how stable the Session 5 footage is.

Mine's a 4 but I'm going to run some tests this weekend
 richprideaux 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> assured me that he used a GoPro on a selfie stick.

If there is a selfie stick/pole in the foreground of the shot then it looks more stable as there is a consistent point of reference for the viewer. It can make all of the difference when filming when moving - but does make it harder to film scenery etc.

Holding the camera out at arms length works too - but only makes sense when talking to the camera like this:

https://youtu.be/8YGVefPZ4OE?t=9m2s
 Joez 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Have you tried Galluscam?

youtube.com/watch?v=cVbIvAlivfM&

I've used it occasionally, however some counties have a restriction on use of the system especially if you want to travel with your own unit. (China is very restrictive - I think you need to get a special H1 permit...or maybe it's N1?)
Post edited at 11:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...