Video editing software

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 22 Oct 2017
My daughter (12) is becoming more interested in film making and is keen to make a climbing documentary, she has reached the limit of what she can do with i movie so I'm looking for the next step in video editing software
I'm an adobe user (Lightroom) but my daughter is familiar with iMovie
What's people's thoughts, relatively easy interface but able to do the full gamut of sound and film from a range of sources
 Dark-Cloud 22 Oct 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Adobe Premier is pretty damn good, think there is a basic version, no idea of cost though but if you have a LR subscription you any be able to add it
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
I may change to subscription adobe at some point but at the moment I'm on Lightroom 6, I guess it would make some sense to use it, I haven't used adobe video editing software before so have no idea as to it ease of use
 james mann 22 Oct 2017

What is it specifically that she can’t do in i movie? I have just finished a fairly complex climbing documentary using it. There are some limitations but with good footage in the first place these are not impossible to work around. I am thinking about moving on to something else so will watch this thread with interest

James
 Dark-Cloud 22 Oct 2017

It’s typical adobe, not entirely intuitive but lots of online tutorials to sort out most issues. The biggest issue for me was getting the import and export formats correct, after that I jumped straight into the editing side of it and managed, admittedly I am not a 12 year old girl though....
 Paul Evans 23 Oct 2017

Personally I use Premiere Elements for my limited needs, but it is around £90 retail, you may be able to find it cheaper. Most pro editors in the Industry apparently use Avid, and there is a cut down version for free - not tried it myself but may be of interest -
http://www.avid.com/media-composer-first

Cheers

Paul
 HeMa 23 Oct 2017

The "prosumer" options are Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro.

Haven't used Premier, but have fiddled around with FCP. Not the easiest (a'la iMovie), but certainly not rocket science.

Both are spendy though, but Adobe offers cheper Premier somethign options.

That said, I know switched to using Davince Resolve 14, which happens to be free for non commercial use (heck, might even be free for that, didn't go through the rules that deeply).

This would be my suggestion. Resolve that is.
 The Lemming 23 Oct 2017

I use Premier Elements, single license version because I do not want to pay monthly for a product that is not mine. Its as simple and complex as you want it to be.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Premiere-Elements-Standard-Download/dp/B01LX...

You could also use CyberLink Power Director. YOu could pay top dollar for the most up-to-date version or you could hunt down a version a couple of generations old and save a fortune. Its a great tool for video editing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberLink-PowerDirector-15-Ultra-Editors/dp/B01M3T...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyberlink-CYB-PDR-EE00-RPM0-00-PowerDirector-14-Ul...
 HeMa 23 Oct 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Out of curiosity, have you tried the Davince Resolve (completely free). I recall it being the defacto solution for color-grading, but nowadays it also comes with a full editing suite.

I didn't find much difference when compared to FCP X (or FCP 7). But haven't yet used it in anger.
 The Lemming 23 Oct 2017
In reply to HeMa:

> Out of curiosity, have you tried the Davince Resolve (completely free).

I have and its too complex for me and my level of knowledge.

I wanted to use it for colour correction and LUTs but it proved way too complex for me and I was not able to export the results into Premier Elements. I needed Premier Pro and I was not prepared to pay that expense for colour correction. I only make small home videos and nothing professional.
 balmybaldwin 23 Oct 2017

Used to used Premier Elements, but it's really very limiting, and much more suited for quick stich and publish type editing.

Cyber Link Power Director is much better, with seemingly all the functions I would require (except 3d modelling is very limited but then you wouldn't/shouldn't use it for that - much better to use something like blender) but still feels a bit clunky at times and annoyingly some of the shortcuts are different to what I'm used to, but then I'm still getting used to it
 StefanB 23 Oct 2017

Final Cut Pro is fairly easy to learn for iMovie users. Most people prefer Premiere Pro these days, but I it's harder to learn, especially when used to the iMovie workflow.

Thanks for the replies, might see if we can get more out of I movie before we take the next step
 HeMa 29 Oct 2017
You could also have a go at Shotcut (.org I seem to recall).

Completely free and quite intuitive to use. Can be pushed quite far, if wished or used in the "green button" mode.
Post edited at 14:15
 Henry Iddon 01 Nov 2017
In reply to HeMa:

> The "prosumer" options are Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro.

I'd hardly describe Premier Pro and Final Cut as "prosumer" ( which indicates they are used by pro's doing limited work and keen amateurs) - they are both full on pro editing packages - that link to others within Adobe Creative Suite.
 lucozade 01 Nov 2017

There are a few low cost and 'free' editors that you could consider, although many on PC not Mac. I agree with James Mann that iMovie (for what it does) really isn't too shabby. Also agree Premiere Elements may be worth a look. If you're already on a Mac, FCPX is a step up (although it now relates to iMovie more closely than it used to) but if she's super keen and sees this as part of her future, I reckon she could master it quite quickly. But it is a wee bit pricey. Back in the day I'd have offered you an old copy for free but no longer able to do that! Could get the Pro Apps Bundle as she's in education - https://www.apple.com/uk-edu-803019/shop/product/BMGE2ZM/A/pro-apps-bundle-...
In reply to lucozade:

Cheers, we are going to go through iMovie together and see what she really needs out of it and weigh it up. She has been pretty keen over a period of time and if it was a long term investment for her I wouldn't hesitate upgrading, teen hood is just on the horizon so she could lose interest really quickly :-/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...