Upgrading LR5 to LR6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone_donkey 01 Dec 2017
I believe that LR6 was the last stand-alone version of LR before it went Cloudy, and that it will continue to be supported until the end of this year. I'm still on LR5.7 and considered moving to LR6 a year or so ago but saw some posts on here that unless you had a shiny new computer LR6 actually was slower than LR5 even though it added some new features like HDR & panorama stitching. Does anyone know whether these issues got sorted as LR6 matured, and assuming I can still source it, is Lr5.7 to LR6 a worthwhile upgrade? I have no intention of going down the LR cloud route so I suspect either 5.7 or 6 will be the end of the LR road for me.
 Philip 01 Dec 2017
If you don't want to go all "cloudy", or even pay at all, there is some excellent open source software called Dark Table.
In reply to Stone_donkey:
I upgraded a few weeks ago from LR 5 to 6 having been waiting for the version 7 which is not as you know now happening.

No problems with upgrade itself direct from Adobe website or any noted slower speed (4 yr old pc) except on initial start up of program - on my pc it is maybe up to 20 sec slower to load. Once loaded up it seems quicker overall however even when multi tasking from my uses so far. The start up could be of course just my machine spec (or window 10 updates which I know on my machine demands higher pc resources for too long) rather than LR6 being slower to start or just a perception given that it displays a “splash” for a bit which draws your attention more than LR5 startup.

It was a worthwhile upgrade for me as I wanted to stay with LR stand-alone meantime, but I needed a min of version 6 to be able to support reading raw files direct from my camera rather than having to use an intermediary program or conversion to DNG.

I’m happy and no regrets with choosing LR 6. Hope that is of some help.
 Fraser 02 Dec 2017

LR 6 is definitely worth it from 5. I upgraded a while ago and haven't regretted it. My home PC however is quite long in the tooth and LR6 runs slightly slower (5% perhaps for some commands) on it than LR5 did. It's still worth the upgrade however. There were several discussions on here at the time with some useful advice and thoughts, so I'd suggest having a trawl and see if you can find anything.
OP Stone_donkey 02 Dec 2017

Excellent,thanks all. I plan to stay with LR for a while as I’ve put a lot of effort into keywording etc which I doubt is transferable to any other package. Sounds like the 5 to 6 upgrade is worth trying; if it all goes horribly wrong on my ageing PC is it possible to revert to 5.7 if I still have the LR5 install download?
 Fraser 02 Dec 2017

I think when I upgraded from either LR5 or 5.x I got a completely new registration code. When I reformatted the computer I initially installed the LR5 version by accident, realised my mistake and input the LR6 code. So yes, I think you should be able to revert without an issue.
As Fraser said, separate registrations. My update left the LR 5.7 untouched so I can or could use it whenever if I wanted. Of course the LR 6 update imports your 5.7 catalogue if you allow it so if you want to go back permanently at any time keep a copy of the old catalogue. I don’t know but think that a LR 6 cat cannot be read by LR5.7 as I read on Adobe’s website that it is not backwardly compatible. Also practically with mine the raw files imported into 6 can’t be viewed in 5 anyway. Best to assume any LR6 cat additions could be lost - check out Adobe’s website as I’m sure the question will have been answered on there.
In reply to Philip:

Darktable is awesome. Spend your money on hardware instead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...