Tripod question?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 18 Nov 2022

Bought a lightweight carbon tripod for my A6400 a while ago.

https://uk.benroeu.com/benro-slim-tripod-kit-carbon-fiber/

I find it’s ideal in most situations for what I need. Except when I put my 70-350 zoom on.

The weight of the lens forces the camera to tilt forward.

Is this something that can be addressed by buying a separate head? Rather than a whole new tripod?

The Lemming 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Yep, separate head will do the trick.

Enjoy your hunt on the variety of heads.

craig h 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Does the lens have a separate mounting bracket to it can be attached directly to the tripod, rather than the camera body?

The 100-400mm lens I use has one and would have a similar problem if didn't connect it by this, may be worth looking to see if there is a mounting bracket for the lens as an extra if it did not come with one.

If it's the lens I think I have found a lens collar tripod mount for it on Ebay, more than likely other options out there too. Sony Addict.com also seems to have a good selection.

Post edited at 14:44
 dread-i 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Looking at the vid, there is an attachment for a weight. On the central post, at the bottom is a hook. The idea is that you can hang a rucksack or even peg it out. I dont know if you carry a rucksack, that is suitably heavy. Perhaps a small loop of string you can stand on might work. Other than that, as others have mentioned, attach the lens to the camera body.

OP Graeme G 18 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks. More stuff to buy. It never ends…..

OP Graeme G 18 Nov 2022
In reply to craig h:

> Does the lens have a separate mounting bracket to it can be attached directly to the tripod, rather than the camera body?

I hadn’t thought of that. Possibly makes more sense. I’ll do my research. Ta

Brian Pollock 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Yes but...

If the issue actually is the ballhead creeping due to the weight of the lens, a better head should fix this. But not all heads are created equal. Something like the Sirui k-10x might suit legs like that. Their heads are good bang for buck. I have the FLM CB-32F which is excellent.

The problem is good heads are (relatively) expensive. There will come a point where you're spending more on the head than the legs. A good head may solve your creep issue but it won't stop your camera shaking in wind if the legs are vibrating. This is going to be an even bigger problem with a long lens like that.

In the long term, if you are going to spend the money anyway and you want to use the long lens (on the tripod) more often, you may be better off selling the tripod/ head and upgrading both. I'd suggest looking on Ebay for good deals. Leofoto is a brand worth looking at for good bang for buck particularly if you get legs and head together. Benro probably do something higher spec too. There are 'better' / more expensive options but diminishing returns in the 1-1.5kg (legs) category. 

Another thought, a lens collar (if your lens is designed to take one) may mitigate the creep by balancing the lens/ camera over the ballhead better.

Post edited at 15:18
 craig h 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

> I hadn’t thought of that. Possibly makes more sense. I’ll do my research. Ta

They aren't too expensive compared to a new head or tripod upgrade. It also means the attachment to the tripod will be more central to the weight of the camera/lens combination which should eliminate any shakes more efficiently, overall a lot more stable.

Post edited at 15:41
 The Lemming 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Brian Pollock:

> The problem is good heads are (relatively) expensive. There will come a point where you're spending more on the head than the legs. A good head may solve your creep issue but it won't stop your camera shaking in wind if the legs are vibrating.

Yep, good tripod head's can be spendy however once bought, they should fit onto any quality tripod if and when upgraded.

If I had Graeme G's tripod, going off the link posted, with a replacement Ball Head and camera/lens combo and I discovered stability issues, I would adapt the tripod. I would not extend the central tripod column, only because I had a tripod with a central tripod column. I discovered that when extended doing this introduced movement with the camera further away from the stable platform of the tripod legs. I would probably only extend the legs about half their full length and have them as wide as possible for a stable platform.

The tripod looks like a very capable travel tripod for a small camera Lens combo, and going off the video that accompanied it, suggests that it isn't really intended for a big zoom lens. It will do the job but not as well as a more sturdy tripod and appropriate tripod head.

My current tripod is a Benro with a Manfrotto fluid head. Thr Benro came with a fluid head but it wasn't as robust as my Manfrotto so I mixed and matched.

OP Graeme G 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Thanks. I wouldn’t sell as I bought the Benro as it’s lightweight for high camps. But I would consider a second tripod for when I use the long lens. Which isn’t something I take up the hills.

In reply to Graeme G:

I am not clear from the OP whether it is the ball head slipping or the tripod tipping over. If it is the latter then beware this salutory tale.

I was on a photo workshop taking pictures on the cliffs above Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall. One chap set up very close to the edge and decided to change his lens for a much longer telephoto. As he turned round to put the shorter lens away his tripod slowly tipped and fell over the cliffs into the sea. It was a really sad occurrence but I always now check the balance on my tripod very carefully when fitting a long lens.

Marek 19 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

One other option (if the lens doesn't have a tripod mount) that I think no one has mentioned is to get a long arca-swiss plate (a few quid on ebay) so that you can move the balance point of the camera/lens to directly above above the ball head. I use this (occasionally) to get the lens nodal point above the head for panos, but it's also useful for balancing long lenses.

65 19 Nov 2022
In reply to Marek:

Good point. 
I’ve a Nodal Ninja but once you know the nodal point on your lenses I find a long plate just as effective and less faff and bulk, especially if it’s windy. 
OP, if you are buying a new head, my view would be to get an Arca-Swiss compatible one rather than the common Manfrotto type. 

The Lemming 19 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

> OP, if you are buying a new head, my view would be to get an Arca-Swiss compatible one rather than the common Manfrotto type. 

Wot he said.

I had to buy a gadget from Smallrigg to convert my Manfrotto head to work with Arca-Swiss kit, and it was the best thing I did as virtually nothing connects to Manfrotto if it isn't made by Manfrotto.

Marek 19 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I just bolt a longish Arca-Swiss plate onto a Manfrotto plate and then sometimes an A-S mount on to that if I want more flexibility (in the good sense). But I agree: the A-S system is a lot more practical than the various Manfrotto ones.

Marek 19 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

> Good point. 

> I’ve a Nodal Ninja but once you know the nodal point on your lenses I find a long plate just as effective and less faff and bulk, especially if it’s windy. 

... Till you want to do multi-row panos and then you're into faff country again.

65 19 Nov 2022
In reply to Marek:

> ... Till you want to do multi-row panos and then you're into faff country again.

Faff continental.

OP Graeme G 19 Nov 2022
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> I am not clear from the OP whether it is the ball head slipping or the tripod tipping over. If it is the latter then beware this salutory tale.

The former.

> I was on a photo workshop taking pictures on the cliffs above Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall. One chap set up very close to the edge and decided to change his lens for a much longer telephoto. As he turned round to put the shorter lens away his tripod slowly tipped and fell over the cliffs into the sea. It was a really sad occurrence but I always now check the balance on my tripod very carefully when fitting a long lens.

OMG. I would cry. Possibly weep even.

OP Graeme G 19 Nov 2022
In reply to Marek:

Thanks. Saw these on eBay earlier but didn’t know what they were. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...