Triple Broken Spectre!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 07 Jan 2023

Sgùrr Alasdair

Many moons ago somebody on UKC pointed me at a very cool website with everything you needed to know about rainbows and natural light effects. Specifically I’d seen 6 rainbows at once but time had led me to doubt it. The website talked about reflected rainbows, a rare phenomenon where close multiple light sources can cause this. Only common in extreme latitudes and specifically mentioned the Hebrides. This comes from the sun reflecting on water and wet sand, exactly what I’d had working close off shore. I wasn’t imagining it!

Well we topped out on Sgurr Alasdair as the clouds broke today and got the very frequent Broken Spectre, a delight. Then a double and then Laura said I think I can see three. Instinct said no but looking behind us there was the sea reflecting brightly and very close in angle to the sun itself. Repeatedly we all saw and agreed the 3rd spectre was definitely there and the low quality phone pic’s confirmed this. 
This is definitely a first for me and I’m wondering just how unique it is. Can anyone point me in the direction of the aforementioned website as the guy was extremely helpful. 
I’ll post the pics to my gallery for interest asap. Thanks

Mark Bull 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Could be this site: https://atoptics.co.uk/

Looking forward to seeing your photos! 

The Lemming 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Is this the first time you've ever been on the Cullins?

😀😜

The most rainbows I've ever seen in one pop is a mere three.

I can't swear to it, but I may have seen two Broken Spectre rings around me in very, very bright sunlight.

In reply to The Lemming:

I don't think Mike's ever been in the "Cullins"

Rob Parsons 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

It's spelled 'Brocken Spectre.'

CantClimbTom 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Also looking forward to seeing the pics, the standard brocken spectre pics are usually impressive, but a triple!!

aln 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Do you mean 3 Brocken Spectres or 1 with 3 rings? Either sounds great!

aln 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

That site looks fantastic, I look forward to exploring it at a later date. Thanks!

The Lemming 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I don't think Mike's ever been in the "Cullins"

Would that be like going to the Peaks?

😶

RBonney 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Also could have been this website. It's not very easy to navigate on a phone but somewhere there is a list of lots of atmospheric phenomenona. I think from the page linked you can click "next" on the bottom right and see a lot of them. 

https://cloudatlas.wmo.int/en/photometeors-other-than-clouds.html

In reply to The Lemming:

> Would that be like going to the Peaks?

> 😶

Yes, a similarly serious level of wrongdoing

streapadair 08 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Only tangentially relevant, but this is what I saw on getting back to the Fain road after a showery day on the Fannichs, 2 suns shining on Loch a'Bhraoin. Maybe.

OP Mike Lates 10 Jan 2023
 Rob Parsons 10 Jan 2023
In reply to streapadair:

> Only tangentially relevant, but this is what I saw on getting back to the Fain road after a showery day on the Fannichs, 2 suns shining on Loch a'Bhraoin. Maybe.

I've seen a similar effect, and wasn't sure what was going on. My only guess was that there were strange reflections of direct sunlight from clouds at a higher level.

The Lemming 10 Jan 2023
In reply to streapadair:

Did you have a holiday on Tatooine with its two suns?

Mike-W-99 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Ah you meant 3 rings. I’ve a 4 ringer photo somewhere, yours might have a faint 4th ring too?

In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks Mark, that was the site but sadly not taking correspondence. I've looked at a few now but still struggling to find someone to verify it. 

Mark Bull 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

I don't think a reflected light source is responsible for the third ring - if it were, then it should be the same size but with an offset centre. The number of rings visible is a result of the uniformity of the size of the cloud droplets. 

Here is a reflection rainbow I was lucky enough to catch from my flat window in Edinburgh - the direction and angle of the sun were consistent with a reflection off the Forth. https://flic.kr/p/2fZiyRa

In reply to Mark Bull:

Cheers, always learning. Managed to contact the WMO with an email just now. 

V cool shot you've got there.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yes, we thought so but my brain's fried if i look too often

Is yours of a Brocken Spectre too or a rainbow?

In reply to Mike Lates:

So it seems this is only one spectre but with multiple rings, 4 or 5 (adjust saturation). 

Not unique but definitely special.

In reply to streapadair:

> Only tangentially relevant, but this is what I saw on getting back to the Fain road after a showery day on the Fannichs, 2 suns shining on Loch a'Bhraoin. Maybe.

Amazing. Sunbeam reflecting off the surface of the loch would be my guess.

storm-petrel 11 Jan 2023
In reply to streapadair:

The left hand "beams" appear to be shafts of rain illluminated by the sunlight.

RBonney 11 Jan 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

That was my first guess but it can't be as the sunbeams would have to be at the same angle to the water. I think storm-petrel below might have the answer. 

CantClimbTom 11 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike Lates:

Lovely pics, thanks for posting to your gallery Mike

MikeR 11 Jan 2023
In reply to RBonney:

Pretty sure that the left hand sunbeam is being reflected from the bright white sides of the cumulus cloud. Although there's no blue sky visible there will be more gaps in the clouds than the cloudy image would suggest as you can see the sides of cloud over the hills beyond the loch.

Great image streapadair!

MikeR 11 Jan 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

Great site, thanks for posting the link. I've bookmarked that page for future reference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...