Transferring Photoshop between computers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 27 Jul 2022

I hope someone on here can help me. Many thanks if you can.

I currently use Photoshop Elements 8 to do some basic processing of my photos. It came free with a laptop around 10 years ago. I appreciate it's not very sophisticated, but I've found it perfectly adequate for what I do - simple light, shadow and colour adjustments and some sharpening. 

I'm now working on a new desktop - the laptop is more or less kaput. I've tried transferring Elements 8 to the new machine by copying all the relevant files across and opening the application (.exe) file. No joy so far. Should this be possible, or does Adobe have a lock to prevent this? 

I'd prefer not to purchase a new version if I can avoid it.

Many thanks

Martin.

craig h 27 Jul 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

If you have the original serial number (16 digits) you could probably register it on the Adobe site and then down load it direct, have done that with all my previous Elements.

mrphilipoldham 27 Jul 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

It's not an adobe measure, it's just the way Windows has always worked.. there are more files used than just those in the seemingly relevant folder on your hard drive. You'll need to do a proper install of the software, and use the serial key that came with the software originally, then you should be able to continue using it. 

OP Martin Hore 27 Jul 2022
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Thanks Craig and Phil

I rather doubt I have the serial key from 10 years ago but I'll have a look.

Martin

mrphilipoldham 27 Jul 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

It might be findable within the programme (look through the menus for help, about this version, things like that..), or hidden somewhere in your registry which is somewhat more complicated and I might have been able to help more if you’re on Windows XP and I was still 17.. 😅

In reply to Martin Hore:

If you can’t find it, it would be worth logging in to your Adobe account online to have a look if it’s recorded as my account has the serial number visible in my account details (unlike those for my two LR version I bought!). I “think” it was necessary as part of the first time use of the program, but it was a long time ago I installed my Elements.

Hooo 28 Jul 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I'm not sure if it works with Photoshop, but there are apps available that will find the licence keys for a lot of your installed software and save them to a file. I've used them quite a bit with Microsoft applications.

OP Martin Hore 28 Jul 2022
In reply to Hooo:

Many thanks everyone. Several additional helpful suggestions there. I'm off climbing this weekend, but I'll have another look next week.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...