Tokina lens repair recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 01 May 2017
I managed to bash the front outer ring of my Tokina 11-16 f2.8 today. As a result the auto-focus no longer works and a small chunk come off the plastic itself. (I didn't have the hood or a filter on) I can still manually focus, although it sounds kind of 'grainy' inside when I do so. I suppose I could live with manually focusing indefinitely but I'd really like to get it working again properly.

I've found a couple of 'possible' names after doing a quick Google search but I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations. Thanks.
In reply to Fraser:
I have used AJ Johnstone in Glasgow for several repairs and had good service.
http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/
They are right by Central Station.
Post edited at 08:56
OP Fraser 02 May 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Thanks Keith, I've used them in the past for general camera minor repairs but not for anything lens-related. I'll maybe take it in to show them and see if they can give me a quote.
In reply to Fraser:
I think your problem might be getting the spare parts.
kmhphoto 02 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I've "unfortunately" had to use the services of this guy on far too many times but I highly recommend him.
http://www.cam-rep.co.uk
OP Fraser 02 May 2017
In reply to kmhphoto:

Thanks very much for that, the site blurb looks promising.

Keith's recommendation is very close to my office so I'll maybe try there first and see what sort of prognosis they give me. It's good to have another recommendation though, so thanks for that.
OP Fraser 17 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Update:

Got a call yesterday from A J Johnstone saying they'd managed to fix the lens and mechanism. It still has a chip out of the edge of the very front ring, but I can one again use screw-in filters and auto-focus. I was very surprised they'd managed to re-straighten the focus ring as it had been forced out of true on one side by about 5-6mm. Happy bunny, despite the £108 bill, which was much cheaper than even a replacement second hand unit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...