Teleconvertor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 25 May 2021

First things first - I took a risk that failed. Saw a 1.4x convertor on eBay, as new never been used. Seller said ‘rookie mistake and I needed a Canon fit so never been used.’ So I guessed chances are it’s for a Nikon and seller accepted £120. And I thought hey, at such a cheap price I should be able to recoup my losses etc if it’s the wrong fit.  Anyway, it’s arrived and clearly not for a Nikon. Fairly sure it’s a sigma fit for a sigma camera. Do many folk use Sigma cameras?  Any thoughts on how to sell it? TBH, even though the seller has 100% feedback I think they new it wasn’t for a Nikon (as it would be stamped on the lens) so they’ve been a little bit dodgey (my error though) 

Marek 25 May 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Sigma cameras are pretty rare beasts these days I think. Ebay is still your best bet to sell it - just make sure it really is a sigma (SA) mount (as opposed to a sigma TC with some other mount) and advertise it accurately. Decent TCs these days are quite good but they're also carefully matched to specific lenses. Certainly Canon EF TCs have a very specific compatibility list and risk damage if you try and fit them to other EF lenses.

In reply to Marek:

Thanks. I thought similar. It was on for £140 but the seller very quickly accepted £120. When I’ve checked, Sigma TCs have either Canon or Nikon stamped on them underneath the text on my attached photo. The one image of a Sigma TC for a Sigma camera that I could find had nothing stamped on it. 

Jon Read 25 May 2021

Do you want to post a picture of the actual mount? Someone may be able to confirm it is Sigma, or some other brand.

In reply to Jon Read:

Good idea. 

Just a thought - Could you contact Sigma UK to get confirmation of the fitting from them by using the serial number on the it?

Marek 25 May 2021

Based on https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4442553 that certainly looks like a Sigma SA mount. The thread does however suggest that the mount type might be changeable? Worth talking to a Sigma dealer?

In reply to Marek and climbing pieman/

Yes, contacting dealer makes sense  

Blue Straggler 25 May 2021

How has the seller been a bit dodgy? Did they at any point imply or suggest that it was for Nikon? (not having a go at you, just that there is a bit of info missing from the OP). Good luck with the sale 

Myfyr Tomos 25 May 2021

If you get a 24" pipe wrench and a bit of grease, I reckon a Sigma teleconverter would fit a Nikon body.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

No, they never suggested it was for a Nikon, but they did say ‘I don’t know which camera it is for.’  Sigma have already got back to me and said ‘Sigma fit for a Sigma camera.’  Didn’t take me long to find out. Should have checked this myself before purchasing. 

Blue Straggler 26 May 2021

OK thanks. Still not sure how this makes them dodgy but it doesn't matter! 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Dodgey:  because the seller knew it wasn't for a Canon, and it didn't have Canon stamped on it, the fact that it also didn't have Nikon stamped on it means it would be reasonable to assume it is also not a Nikon lens.  Sigma confirmed almost instantly with me it was for a Sigma camera - they only do Canon, Nikon and Sigma fit lenses.  Anyway, that'll learn me.  I will leave it a while and list on Ebay with accurate description but doubt I will get much for it.  Maybe better trying to trade it in.

Marek 26 May 2021

> ... but doubt I will get much for it.  Maybe better trying to trade it in.

It's one of those funny situations: Somewhere out there there may be a Foveon sensor fan who's willing to pay the earth for such a rarity as you have. But perhaps there isn't, in which case it's pretty worthless.

Trade-in is an option - I thought of MPB, but I suspect they won't be interested if it's not Canon/Nikon/M43. Worth a try though. Or try any Sigma camera (not lens) dealer. Wex have SA-mount lenses, so might be interested. Good luck!

Post edited at 18:17
 Blue Straggler 26 May 2021

Sorry (not sorry really but just being respectful) but the seller has absolutely not in ANY way been dodgy. I am trying to make you feel better (for not being any kind of mug), FWIW. Both sides look innocent here. These things happen 

Post edited at 20:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...