Stack/align photos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 05 Jul 2022

I am doing a time lapse project of a few thousand images locked off on a tripod. Even with this there is still a little movement when the images are shown at 25 frames per second.

Is there any way that I can align the images so that stationary objects remain in the same location?

Dan Arkle 05 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes. What software do you have?

Marek 05 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Hugin/panotools is what I use, but there's a bit of a learning curve.

OP The Lemming 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I have a very old copy of Lightroom, GIMP and a few astrophotography apps for aligning photos for star trails and composites of the night sky.

In reply to Marek:

> Hugin/panotools is what I use, but there's a bit of a learning curve.

Yep I could not get Hugin to work with a handful of images. I'm guessing that it would crash my computer with 153gb of photos I created today.

wintertree 05 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

If you don’t mind dealing with the command line, the answer to any question about videos is FFMPEG.

https://www.paulirish.com/2021/video-stabilization-with-ffmpeg-and-vidstab/

https://gist.github.com/hlorand/e5012fa315dcfe358008cf1b4611c7e0

Marek 05 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

> Yep I could not get Hugin to work with a handful of images. I'm guessing that it would crash my computer with 153gb of photos I created today.

Yeh, for a big job like this I'd just script it using panotools command line rather than use hugin. You should be able to do the alignment with just pairs of images in memory so no system stress.

Wintertree's suggestion of ffmpeg is worth looking at - I've not use its image stabilisation, but do use it to render the final video. Fantastically powerful once you get to grips with it!

In reply to wintertree:

> If you don’t mind dealing with the command line, the answer to any question about videos is FFMPEG.

The command line is way above my pay grade unfortunately 😪

Philip 06 Jul 2022
In reply to wintertree:

And for those who truly love the command line, you can render your video to 256 colour ascii art and not need to worry about excessive use of resources

OP The Lemming 06 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Solved it in Resolve with a Locked-on Stabilisation technique.

Cheers all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...