Sony E-mount cheap/cheerful telezoom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 23 Apr 2021

Discussion with a friend regarding him possibly getting a CSC (I think an Olympus would give versatility regarding lens availability), I started looking around at "low end" telezooms for Sony E-mount. I have a NEX 6 with the "pancake" version of the standard 16-50 kit lens which is basically my "lightweight compact" as I have a Canon EOS 600D armed with an embarrassment of lenses. 

But I really like the NEX 6...yet that 16-50 lens is sort of "neither here nor there" re: zoom range. I mostly shoot between 16-20mm. So I thought "is there a nice relatively cheap telezoom?" Something like the Olympus Ed 40-150 f/4.0-5.6 which can be bought for <£100

I am only really seeing the Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5 which would probably serve a purpose (usually £150 second hand although I've seen cheaper on one with a bit of non-relevant plastic snapped off)
I've taken pics I am "happy enough with" at the long end of a cheap slow Sigma zoom on my SLR. This isn't about absolute quality, it's about "cheap and cheerful, lightweight, occasional use"

Just wondering if my Google-Fu is a bit "off" and there are good offerings from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma etc (though the whole vibe I've always had re: Sony E mount, is that brands aren't really bothering with the lower end of the market). Happy to be proved wrong. 

Mike_d78 24 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Hi the 55-210 I would say fits what you're after. There's the 70-350 but that's quite a new lens and doubt it's neither cheap nor cheerful. I'm not aware of any 3rd party zooms in that range. 

In reply to Mike_d78:

Thanks Mike. I probed around a bit more after posting, and what you say does seem to be the case. I'll take a punt on one, see how I get on. Cheers

Mike_d78 24 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I had one once upon a time. It was OK image quality whilst pretty small and light which sounds like what your after. I bought mine on Ebay, eventually sold (I'd moved to full frame) it for a similar price; so nothing lost and some decent pictures gained! Here's two of the better ones I took with it......

Post edited at 22:46

In reply to Mike_d78:

Thanks again. I ordered one from eBay, £120. I am sure it will be worth it!

In reply to Mike_d78:

This arrived last week, it was £120, I ordered it whilst drunk and convinced myself that the seller's totally honest and detailed description of loads of fungus on the front element, was nothing to worry about. Then I forgot about it, and it arrived, I opened it and without even holding it up to the light, I was REPULSED by the fungus. 

But guess what, it doesn't seem to affect pictures. Possibly at the 55mm end it might generate some additional flare in awkward side lighting but given that 55mm onto an APS-C is already fairly narrow, I think it'll be OK. I really like it, so lightweight and nice to handle. Thanks for the push to get it. I wish I'd paid a bit more for a clean one because just KNOWING the fungus is there makes my skin crawl but hey ho  
Some boring test shots mostly at the long end. Birds in aviary didn't come out sharp but that's user error I am sure - tried too much too soon. The swan head shows that all is well. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-straggler/albums/72157719129697387/with/...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...