Software that can add tags to images?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 01 Aug 2017
I would very much appreciate suggestions of software that can add tags/keywords to DGN files?

Cheers
Clauso 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

ExifTool... Takes a bit of learning, but it's free and powerful:

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
Post edited at 00:44
Removed User 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Lightroom.
OP The Lemming 02 Aug 2017
In reply to Removed User:

> Lightroom.

Nope. Lightoom will not do this.
Removed User 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Mine does!
In reply to Removed User:

> Mine does!

I would be most appreciative if you could explain how I could do this with Lightroom 5.

I can save tags/keywords to JPEGS but this is not possible with DNG files.
 HeMa 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
It is, you're doing it wrong...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkrfu9ivjck9mgt/Screenshot%202017-08-02%2013.09.3...

And yes, only touched the DNG in LR5.

You need to enable XMP writing in the catalog settings.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng841pkd7jt10ir/Screenshot%202017-08-02%2013.11.0...

As I already pointed it out eons ago, that your settings are goofed up.
Post edited at 11:13
kmhphoto 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
Lightroom does do this and I offered to run you through it. Both here and on other forums people have explained how it works but for some reason you don't accept it.
Post edited at 11:20
In reply to kmhphoto:

> it works but for some reason you don't accept it.

For the life of me, I believe that I have all the settings correct but something is not working correctly. I shall uninstall Lightroom, clear all the settings and try again with a clean install. I even find other people on the internet with the same issue so it can't all be down to user stupidity.

I hope.

In reply to HeMa:

> It is, you're doing it wrong...

> As I already pointed it out eons ago, that your settings are goofed up.

Thanks for the links. My brain hurts as I have all those settings as well and I have just checked again.

HeMa 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
What OS you have?

Because your orig post sort of points out to and OS problem, rather than LR.

After all, you state that if you export the DNGs to JPEGs, then the´ keywords are present (outside LR).

As has been stated numerous times, DNG support EXIF data... but to me it seems that your OS might not (or rather IPTC EXIF attributes from DNGs).

E.g. here it stated, that with XP, yer fugged.
https://www.lightroomforums.net/threads/how-to-search-for-lightroom-keyword...
Post edited at 11:46
 HeMa 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
oh, and OOTB Win7 doesn't show DNG IPTC keywords either (unlike Jpeg *tags*).

But this might help...
http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/product.jsp?product=194&platform=Windows

Might even make the keywords and other info visible...
Post edited at 12:01
kmhphoto 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

There's no need to delete Lightroom, as "HeMa" points out it may be that your OS is not able to read the tags even though they are present. There are other ways to see if the tags are present - exiftool, photoshop etc.
In reply to kmhphoto:

Even though I have Windows 10, I have tested with online sites that the tags/keywords are not being saved to DGN files.

However I am able to use other software to save this information. After checking the internet, I am not alone in this problem.
 HeMa 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> Even though I have Windows 10...

And hey presto...
https://www.petri.com/windows-10-tip-working-raw-image-files

Win10 does not support DNG (hence won't show keywords).

Try downloading the codex from Adobe a few replies earlier and see what happens.

Or post a DNG with (LR keywords) in say dropbox and share the link.
In reply to HeMa:

I had my suspissions about codecs but for some reason all links to Windows 10 codecs did not work.

There were compatibility issues and the internet was unhelpful to resolve this issue. At least I am not going mad and there is an issue with not being able to save tags/keywords.

I'm not going mad, and I do know how to solve problems which is frustrating when people think I can not follow simple instructions.

However I think my woes are adobe related rather than microsoft operating system related because I can use different software to save tags/keywords to my DNG files.

As yet I am still unable to find a working codec for RAW files to be viewed with my Windows 10 operating system.
In reply to HeMa:

> Try downloading the codex from Adobe a few replies earlier and see what happens.

I shall give this a try over the next few days.
kmhphoto 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
"However I think my woes are adobe related rather than microsoft operating system related because I can use different software to save tags/keywords to my DNG files."

If you are already have software that can write the tags to DNG's why start a whole new thread asking for more software?

As for Lightroom, it does appear that your OS is the issue and not Adobe but for some reason you don't want to accept it.
It would be extremely easy to establish if the tags are being written to your DNG's by Lightroom but you don't appear to want to try it so you keep on blaming Adobe.
Post edited at 13:31
In reply to kmhphoto:

>

> If you are already have software that can write the tags to DNG's why start a whole new thread asking for more software?

Maybe because the software is not suitable?

Do I really have to justify every request or do I have your permission to ask questions without getting you to authorize them first?

In reply to The Lemming:
A long shot, but worth trying? From the past internet reading, I had read that LR 5 and the saving of keywords/other metadata can be very "power" hungry on some machines and so it is programmed to delay if necessary the saving until the pc and LR are actually in idle mode. A previous poster commented in your other thread on do you see the small down arrow. If the arrow is present it has not saved yet (I think from memory!!). Someone will correct me if I got this the wrong way round.

I am not that IT knowledgeable and don't normally use DNG to help otherwise, sorry, but if you like me and expect things to be done instantly , if you are continuing to work on the pc and just close LR or do other tasks like exporting for example, without letting it idle first, it is remotely possible the saving can't take place?

As I say a (very) long shot!
kmhphoto 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
You don't have to justify anything but I've wasted far too much time trying to help you with this and the solution has been provided to you on this site and all the others you've posted to so good luck with resolving your issue.
Being sarcastic towards someone trying to help you gets you nowhere.
Post edited at 15:00
In reply to The Lemming:

This is driving me crazy. I can not find any way to download and install a Windows 10 codec pack because I keep getting an incompatibility message. And when I try to use the compatibility tool I am told that I can not install because of incompatibility issues.

I have also installed, or think I have installed the latest Adobe DNG codecs and still I can not see my tags/keywords.

This is driving me to distraction.

Am I the only person who uses Lightroom on a Windows 10 computer and can not save tags to DNG files?
kmhphoto 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

This will be my very last comment on this thread.

I called up a colleague who uses W10 and he has no issues with Lightroom. Good luck.
In reply to The Lemming:
Win 10, LR 5 for me. Saves tags to DNG files no problem and can be read within and outwith LR. Just tested again to check as I don't use DNG as a norm, but still works simply and easily. It does take time on my pc though so have to be patient to allow the saving.

My LR also tells me in the right side panel scroll down to metadata as to whether it has changed and so needs saving, or is up to date. Check that. Also try switching off auto and do it manually. I do not use auto (since I don't use DNG as a norm) and do a manual saving - prob why I get the warning metadata has changed and needs saving?

Sounds like you have some corruption or incompatibility issue. I do remember a while back finding and updating the win codec pack.

Anyway, I think others have given all the possible things that could be involved and help, so if it was me I would look to a corruption issue somewhere and possibly reinstall LR or more likely I would upgrade to LR6 (though I'm actually waiting for LR7 if it ever comes !!).
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Sounds like you have some corruption or incompatibility issue. I do remember a while back finding and updating the win codec pack.

> Anyway, I think others have given all the possible things that could be involved and help, so if it was me I would look to a corruption issue somewhere and possibly reinstall LR or more likely I would upgrade to LR6 (though I'm actually waiting for LR7 if it ever comes !!).

I have come to the same conclusion, that there is some sort of corruption but I can't pin-point where this is. I can't even install Windows 10 camera codecs so this must be the root cause because I have followed everybody's advice trying to resolve this issue.

I have had more help on a climbing forum than with the DPreview and Adobe forums combined.
In reply to The Lemming:
I can't remember where I got the codec download (must have been Adobe site I would guess though) and have long since cleared my download list to be able to check, but it downloaded no problem. As I said I can view tags of DNG files on my win 10 pc in any of the photo software I use. However, my understanding is that even without it, it shouldn't stop LR from saving metadata to DNGs, just you will not be able to view it on your Win 10 pc. I could be wrong on that though as I can't test that now.

Maybe it's a combination of win10 corruption and LR installation problem? If LR never installed fully/properly on your win 10 machine it may not be able to work, plus win 10 codec download failure will not allow you to see the tags.

FactorXXX 02 Aug 2017

I can't remember where I got the codec download

If it's for a Nikon, the CODEC is on the Nikon Website.
In reply to FactorXXX:
The Lemming is after the win 10 dng codec though. He also has a Panasonic camera, but does not save it's raw files as he converts on import to DNG iirc.

FactorXXX 02 Aug 2017

The Lemming is after the win 10 dng codec though. He also has a Panasonic camera, but does not save it's raw files as he converts on import to DNG iirc.

What exactly is the problem?
Apart from getting the wrong type of CODEC and the wrong camera that is...
 HeMa 02 Aug 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Save a sample dng with only keywords visible in LR and let's see if the keywords are really there or not.

And if they aren't, then some of the settings on your LR are fugged.

As stated, others (including myself) are saving keywords to dngs without any problems and they are visible in the actual files outside LR. So it can be done.
In reply to HeMa:

I've got a couple of night shifts so I'll do this on Friday.

I recently reset my OS just to keep things ticking over. Before the reset to my OS I think I remember the Windows image viewer playing nicely with DNG files as in allowing me to view them. At the time I had not started adding tags.

I have a feeling that the reset of the OS and install of lightroom did not go well because something so simple and straightforward should work out of the box.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...