Shutter release cable with screen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 31 May 2017
Im after a shutter release cable for my canon 5d mark 1. The kind of thing im after also has a small screen so you can see what your shooting when your camara is on a long pole to get shoots of climbers/boulderers from above without having to dangle on a rope. Iv tried google with no success so can anyone help me with the name the piece of equipment im after. The mark 1 does not have wifi so i cant link it to a mobil phone.
 FactorXXX 31 May 2017
In reply to Russell Lovett:

How about tethering it to a laptop?
 Fraser 31 May 2017

Funnily enough I've been wondering about this lately too. The best idea I came up with was to set to interval timer (to be guess-timated by the pace of the climber) and a long O-T-G cable, taped along the pole and connected to a mobile/tablet.
 Mehmet Karatay 31 May 2017

I have no direct experience of this but is this the sort of thing you're looking for: https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/control-a-dslr-camera-with-your-android-phon...

Mehmet
Mabe iv got this all wrong and the eqipment im looking for does not excist, maybe what i saw was a long shutter cable and another cable attached to a screen that goes up to a small camara also attached to the top of the pole which will give a similar view to your main camara so you will know the optimal moment to capture your intended shot?
 richprideaux 31 May 2017

Possibly a small GoPro (Session) or other action camera that you can live-view through an app? Then you mount it to the top of the DSLR through a hotshoe mount? I have achieved similar by doing exactly that.
 Blue Straggler 31 May 2017

What you are looking for doesn't exist. When consumer digital was very new I thought that this would become an obvious development but it never came to light.

However for the photography you are talking about, you should be able to manage without. Whether you are dangling from a rope, or comfortably on the ground looking at your non-existent screen, the quality of the shot really depends on your understanding of climbing (and ideally your knowledge of the route AND the climber in question).

Mind you whilst I wrote the above, I had missed the bit about camera on pole and was actually picturing a camera mounted in a fixed position on the route, perhaps done on abseil and then you abseil to the ground for comfort. How long a pole are you thinking about? This sounds like a recipe for blurred photos and camera bashed into the rock!

Anyway, you have some good alternative solutions from other contributors now; I'll be intrigued to hear how you get on and see some results.
Removed User 31 May 2017
if you had the 5d2 then camranger might have fitted the bill, I don't think there is a cable equivalent sadly. I think its because there is no live view on the 5dc you have. http://www.wexphotographic.com/camranger-wireless-camera-control-1534139/

however if you could get an Eye-fi sd card and then get the Cf adaptor then you could transmit jpegs to your phone/tablet as you take them and control it that way albeit more cumbersome I guess.
Post edited at 15:15
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> What you are looking for doesn't exist.

You mean this?

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/9306400E/remote-controls/swains/camfi-wireles...

Blue Straggler 31 May 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Yes probably, if that link didn't weirdly go to some totally different URL when I click on it.
Thanks for correcting me, my information was possibly 12 years out of date.

I'm still wondering about the OP with a dSLR on the end of a long pole...
Removed User 31 May 2017

quite sophisticated these days

https://www.photomast.com/camera-pole/

Iv seen people using such poles before and their resulting images have been very good. The problem is not keeping the camara steady its triggering the shuttle without a expensive wifi trigger ( im sure if i look i can find a cheap one), think i might go down the gopro type vidio camara you can view through a smart phone route that way i can get a good idea of what is in the shot and also have video of the climb/boulder problem to. When i get the gear set up and take some shots I'll post them on here with a comment to let people know iv used a pole to get the image. Cheers for all the replys Russell.
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Great bit of kit but is it compatible with first gen 5d?

Me too. The 5d is not known for it's svelte proportions.
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Doesn't appear to be unfortunately. But to be fair it is a 12 year old camera!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...