Seeing the dates photos were taken - New feature?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

It would be cool to see the dates that photos were taken if the uploader enters one. Especially on older photos! Thoughts?

Mark Collins 19 Nov 2019
In reply to climberclimber321:

Agreed. In the interests of transparency, I'd also like most other things timestamped. For instance, when the grade of a route mysteriously changes from E7 to E8 overnight, yet nobody voted.

GHawksworth 19 Nov 2019

Is it just me or is/was this already a feature? I remember seeing photos in "latest" being stamped several years prior.

We are actually not sure where this feature went, as we were certain it existed at some point, but somehow slipped us by!
I have added it in now, so any photo that the user specified the date in the 'Date photo taken' will be shown.

ScottTalbot 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Could it not also use Exif data to get the date? Or is that a bit more complicated!?

wilkesley 21 Nov 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Photos taken in the pre-digital era don't have exif data. It's also possible that the user has the wrong time/date settings on their camera. However, in general, it's a good idea. 

In reply to ScottTalbot:

We've added this to our list of things to do, as it won't be a small task.

The way I envision it working is by getting all the EXIF data when you upload, and then pre-populating the form with the data it found in the EXIF, and then the user can choose which data they want to save (i.e. date taken, camera settings etc)

jcw 22 Nov 2019

Some of this seems to work in mine, but there are several photos which show the posting date even though the caption makes clear the date, or it was stated in the original  form of submission. Only looked at the latest ones. But I appreciate there are going to be problems getting a new scheme like this going

jcw 22 Nov 2019

My goodness, you are efficient. Thank you. I've changed the dates on the three photos specified. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...