Replacement for Sony RX100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 28 Mar 2019

My Sony RX100 (Mk 1) is getting a little tired. I've been generally very pleased with it. Very good image quality in good light and more than adequate low-light capability. A little fiddly on the controls, but I've got used to that. It was generally considered one of the best compacts of its generation - and I prefer something of that size and weight to carry climbing and mountaineering.

Does anyone have a recommendation for it's replacement? I know I may need to be paying in the high hundreds. I'd consider another top-end compact or possibly a lightweight (eg micro four thirds) mirrorless. I'm generally a fair-weather photographer so good weatherproofing is not essential. Basically I'm looking for something that will do the same job as my RX100, but with the improvements that 6 years of technological progress should bring.

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

Post edited at 20:06
 Robert Durran 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

RX100 (Mk n)?

Dan Arkle 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Amazingly, I don't think things have moved on much. The newer models offer more frames per second and 4k video, but with almost no difference in stills quality.

My two RX100s broke. I now use my phone for everything. Phone cameras have moved on incredibly. They only thing they don't do well is zoom. 

OP Martin Hore 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

Many thanks Robert. Yes RX100 (Mk n) is certainly on the list. But each new model seems to come out at a somewhat silly price compared to the previous. I like the longer zoom of the latest version (is it Mk 6?) but wonder if some image quality has been sacrificed to obtain the bigger zoom.

Martin

OP Martin Hore 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks Dan. Good point, but how do you find low light capability? I'd have expected that to be poor given the tiny sensor in most phones. I don't myself have a newer smartphone but my wife does. Some of her photos are good on image quality, but not all. 

Martin

Mike_d78 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Have you considered the Panasonic LX100? Not quite as compact as the RX100 but more compact than a M43, with decent low light performance. 

If you haven't checked DPReview have some very good camera comparisons;

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-pocketable-enthusiast-ca...

Dan Arkle 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Low light is a weakness, but less than you might think. Newer phones have optical stabilisation, and powerful denoising. My phone takes several 1/10s shots, then aligns and combines them for longer shutter speeds. 

Myfyr Tomos 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Would second the Panasonic LX100. Slightly larger than the Sony but very user friendly - big switches, dials etc. I'm having a slight problem with dust on the sensor at the moment - something to consider maybe. Super little camera though.

Mr. Lee 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

How many phone cameras can capture in RAW though? Trying to shoot with a phone using one hand whilst belaying I find is also too challenging for me, whereas with a small camera I find it easy.

Street 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

I had the same decision to make and ended up swapping it for a second hand RX100 mk3. It is a decent improvement and has some nice features the mk1 was lacking. The fact they can be had for relatively cheaply now was a bonus too! The main improvements in the new models seemed to be with video recording, which I never used it for so figured it would be wasted on me.

I did consider some of the others, but I really love the size of the RX100 and if it was any bigger, I'd end up not taking it out.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

I replaced my RX100 with a Panasonic DMC-TZ100 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. The 70mm long end of the Sony was always an issue, the TZ goes up to 250mm, shoots RAW, does high quality video, and in a pretty compact package,

Chris

OP Martin Hore 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Lots of food for thought there.

Martin

In reply to Martin Hore:

Just sold my Canon kit then the Olympus kit I bought to switch to a Fuji X100F (That was after 3 weks with an Fuji X20. Can't praise them highly enough.

John 03 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Just sold My RX100 Mark 5. I found it too fiddly to use. Its a very good camera if it MUST fit in a pant pocket. But if you can live with a little larger, i think there are better cameras now.

Jamie Hageman 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

I'm now in the same situation.  My trusty RX100 Mk I has just died, so am pretty sure after some research that I'm going for the MK III.  £365 new, can live with the reduced zoom, but looking forward to the 24mm wider angle.  I know all the settings and menus, love some of the useful features, can use my existing spare batteries.  Another option was the Canon G7X II, but have decided on the Sony having read comparisons. 

If I get another 7/8 years out of a new MK III as I did with my MK I, I'll be happy enough. 

Let us know what you decide.

p.s. the touchscreen on the MK IV and later models is something I'm not keen on, so the MK III is the one for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...