Recommend me a camera?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iamgregp 25 Mar 2021

Hi all!

I'm looking for a camera for my other half's birthday.

Neither of us are particularly avid photographers but she likes to take a few pics here and there on trips etc, and we've got a little one on the way so it'll be nice to have a decent camera to take nice pictures of the baby growing up....

Just needs to be stills really, neither of us have much desire to become videographers. 

I'm looking for something fairly compact and robust enough to get slung about a bit (no need for SLR, too big) but with a decent optical zoom as she does like to take close up shots of nature.  

I'm looking at the Panasonic lumix dc-tz90 but some of the reviews look a bit middling, is there something similar but better on the market?

Any suggestions?  Not too worried about price, I guess I could go to around 400 if it's worth it, but likewise if there are other cheaper, better value for money options I don't need to go that high.

Many thanks!

Post edited at 12:25
 jmerrick21 25 Mar 2021
In reply to Iamgregp: I'm no expert or claim to know many of the options out there, but the Olympus tg 6 might fit your needs.

For macro ( close up nature) it is excellent. It is waterproof and can take a beating. I find most of my best family shots are on beaches which it is perfect for. You can buy some extra lenses if you want, unusual for a point and shoot, but there's no need really.

I'm also assuming you're a climber so this is a good option as a climbing camera.

BuzyG 25 Mar 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

Just had a read up on that Olympus tg 6. Like the look of it. Could be what I need.

As for Panasonic compact cameras.  I have a Lumix TZ200.  Bought in Oct 2019.  It took amazing pictures.  But it was over complicated to use and not robust enough for my use, out and about in the hills. A few minor knocks and it no longer works.

Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

>  You can buy some extra lenses if you want, unusual for a point and shoot, but there's no need really.

Just to clarify - not "extra lenses" in the sense of detach the main lens and put a different one onto the mount. These are "clip-on" optical adaptors which (at least in the case of the wide angle one) certainly do an effective job although they do take away the pocketable compactness of the thing....

Gav_92 25 Mar 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Thats a shame to hear about your tz200

I have the tz70, find it simple to use with gloves on and apart from a friend spilling jack Daniels and coke on it causing the lens protector to stick iv not had any problems with it and use it mostly in winter 

The Lemming 25 Mar 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

I have a suggestion that is a Panasonic mirrorless but uses removable lenses. Its great for taking photos. And if you want to dabble with a bit of video, then this is probably the best you can get without shelling out for a Big Boy camera.

Its a Panasonic GX80 and goes for around £270 second hand

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-mirrorle...

Just get a small lens like a 14-45mm

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/u...

Here's a sample YouTube review of the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGRMOXCE9TQ&t=84s

youtube.com/watch?v=yDt4YMcrsuU&

Post edited at 22:30
In reply to BuzyG:

> Just had a read up on that Olympus tg 6. Like the look of it. Could be what I need.

Just a word of caution - goggle lens flare aka pink spot with Tough cameras. Unfortunately Olly tough cameras are particularly susceptible to this phenomenon.

You need to work around this when it happens (similar to all camera that show lens flare). However, if you want to have a camera for a quick one click to capture a shot, you can be disappointed to have a spoiled photo later. Frustrating particularly if it was a unique one opportunity shot or there is no way to easily reposition, etc., to minimise or avoid.

Also, the pink spot can be very subtle when outside during post shot viewing on the screen (assuming you can see it at all in bright light conditions) and for me often missed in field only to be clearly seen later on pc.

BTW I’ve had Olly Tough cameras for over 10 years, have currently the 6, and they are really very good and versatile capable cameras all round. A previous one had to regularly put up with a lot of “abuse” with weather and never failed in all the years I had it. Current one is equally reliable.

I have no hesitation in recommending the camera, but only if one accepts the pink spot phenomenon and that there can be times when a shot is lost due to the lens flare.

Post edited at 10:51
OP Iamgregp 26 Mar 2021
In reply to all:

Hi all!

Massive thanks for all your input.  This has certainly given me some food for thought... 

I've not quite made my mind up, but I think I'm going to go for the TZ70 (perhaps the TZ90 is overkill for our needs).

I really like all the other suggestions - the Olympus TG was another one that I was thinking about and the Panasonic GX80 is a lovely, lovely camera.  I've been coveting one like that for quite some time, but I take so few pics I can't justify it.  

The Lemming 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

> and the Panasonic GX80 is a lovely, lovely camera.  I've been coveting one like that for quite some time, but I take so few pics I can't justify it.  

Think of the Panasonic GX80 as a Gateway Drug. Once you buy it, you're hooked on interchangeable lenses.

The GX80 may look like a small simple camera for occasional photos, but its a wolf in sheep's clothing. Any small camera that can go toe-to-to with a Panasonic flagship GH4 camera is a wise purchase. Well to my mind at least. I use to own a GH4 and would still have it right now had I not used it beyond its weather sealing tolerances by playing out in Britain's worst storm this century on the prom at high tide. Doh! 🤣

Post edited at 13:08
 Graeme G 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Selling my Sony A5100 soon with 16-55 zoom. It’s a cracking wee camera as a step up from a compact. I’ll include a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 5 case.  Probably looking for around £240 inc postage.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-ZS70-vs-Sony-Alpha-a...

kevin stephens 26 Mar 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

I would not recommend an Olympus TG-6

I have and love its predecessor TG-4 as a niche fully waterproof camera for sea kayaking, for this application it is unbeatable.

The reason it has a good reputation for macro photography is the same reason that phone cameras are good for macro; a very small sensor.

The very small sensor severely limits dynamic range which is very important for good images, particularly portraits and landscapes. When I’ve used my TG-4 for climbing shots in less than ideal light the results have been flat and disappointing compared to my Canon G15 compact; now obsolete.  The current Canon G9 X Mk 2 would be my suggestion for your budget

Post edited at 14:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...