Photopills vs TPE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 31 Aug 2022

They’re not exactly a huge expense so could probably buy both. Have also read a range of reviews detailing their differences. But I just wondered if anyone could advise which they prefer? I’m heading to Iceland soon and am keen to get the best photos I can whilst I’m there. Thinking that having more advanced apps than my current free ones might help with planning the trip.

Post edited at 10:10
 jethro kiernan 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

The layout of PhotoPills is cleaner and more modern and I’m drifting to using it more than TPE.

Post edited at 11:05
 The Lemming 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

No idea about TPE however I do like and use Photopills.

I especially use the shutter calculator for astro photography which uses the NPF rule which is way over my head and makes my tiny little brain explode trying to understand it. Its far more precise than the 500 rule, 450 rule or even to 300 rule which were all designed for analogue film cameras rather than precise camera sensors with pixels that are less forgiving with movement of stars.

I also use the Augmented Reality of showing me where the sun is going to set or pop up by overlaying its path on a live display of the landscape I'm physically looking at.

Clauso 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

TPE doesn't currently support Android.

OP Graeme G 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Clauso:

> TPE doesn't currently support Android.

On iOS so thankfully have the option. I’m leaning towards Pills but I got the impression TPE has a few useful tools so may end up buying both.

OP Graeme G 31 Aug 2022
In reply to jethro kiernan:

I always like your photos so thanks for replying. Gives me an idea of what kind of shots I could aspire to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...