Photo uploading issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 16 Mar 2023
 HeMa 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yeah, atleast on my work laptop, the UKC one seems to be a bit flat (non vibrant).

So I would wager, that something has been changed in the handling process (mostly about colorspaces).

I assume you haven't changed your export settings (and also used the same file to both Smugsmug and here).

Eduardo2010 16 Mar 2023

Same issue

Hi Robert, can you check you uploaded an image using the sRGB colour space please? I suspect you used Adobe Pro RGB. This supports a wider colour gamut and subsequently looks a bit off when it's converted to WebP format in sRGB to show on the site.

The UKC version also looks as though it has lower resolution. The difference between that and the original is enough to take it from a 5* picture to a 4*, IMO.

OP Robert Durran 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Yes it is sRGB. All my photos are sRGB and I have not changed anything. The problem started two days ago I think.

Post edited at 16:48
 Brian Pollock 16 Mar 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

A lot of photos on UKC suffer from compression because the native resolution of the photo is larger than UKC displays it by default. You see this when you click into a photo and then for many photos you can click again and seemingly 'zoom into' the photo (i.e. viewing it at native resolution). The two steps before that are compressed renderings of the original file and usually look a bit soft (compared to the native resolution). I think...

Post edited at 16:46
 Mr Messy 16 Mar 2023

Some one is secretly trying to stop you winning photo of the week.

FactorXXX 16 Mar 2023

Maybe UKC has got some new software that detects an over edited photo and in this case de-saturated it a bit to make it look more realistic? 🙄

Thanks. I have a look, though I am clueless about these things.

Does seem odd when others are having the same issue. And the photo I posted and then removed because it looked so poor was dealt with exactly the same way as other photos at the same time which appeared fine.

Yes it seems I must have accidentally switched to exporting in Adobe RGB. I have switched back to sRGB and it is fine now. Thanks.

What software do you usually use to export from the raw photos?

> What software do you usually use to export from the raw photos?

Capture One Express for Fuji

Fraser 16 Mar 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

> The UKC version also looks as though it has lower resolution. The difference between that and the original is enough to take it from a 5* picture to a 4*, IMO.

I'm viewing them both on a UHD screen just now and there's so little difference between them I'd not consider it affecting the score in any way whatsoever. 

In reply to Fraser:

> I'm viewing them both on a UHD screen just now and there's so little difference between them I'd not consider it affecting the score in any way whatsoever. 

That will be because I have replaced the photo with an sRGB version, so they should be the same!

Post edited at 21:39
 Fraser 16 Mar 2023

Glad to hear it and it wasn't just my eyesight! Having said that, there must have been a dramatically big difference to warrant dropping one star. I almost always score a photo based on content/ subject, framing and what might be called 'artistic merit'. I can't remember mentally tweaking a score based on an image being a bit flat or slightly less sharp than it could have been. 

In reply to Fraser:

I first noticed it when I put on a photo which I was really quite proud of a couple of days ago with rather subtle light. This thing really killed it and I took it down again. i'll sort out an sRGB version.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...