Photo orientation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max Hangs 22 Jul 2019

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find a thread.

My latest 2 photos have changed orientation in the upload process.

The Army Dreamers one is correct in the thumbnail/preview but wrong when you click on it.

The Blue Sky one is wrong on both views, it should be portrait with the climber's leg loops at the bottom of the photo.

Is there a way to preserve the orientation when uploading?

Mike-W-99 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

Tried both with a full repertoire of browsers. They all show Army Dreamers correctly in portrait mode and Blue sky in landscape.

Dave Garnett 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

I had this problem with some photos I submitted a while back.  It sorted itself out after a day or so.

FactorXXX 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Tried both with a full repertoire of browsers. They all show Army Dreamers correctly in portrait mode and Blue sky in landscape.

If you click on the 'Route Name' at the bottom of the photo then it all goes weird as per what Wanderlust says in his OP.
As to why, who knows.
Probably something to do with Trump/Brexit/The Russians...

Mike-W-99 22 Jul 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Nope, works fine (safari on osx amongst others)

OP Max Hangs 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

OK thanks all!

Simon Caldwell 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

If you upload a photo that's wrongly oriented, the moderator has the option of rotating it. If they do this, then it displays OK for everyone else, but often not for the person submitting it, as they have the original cached in their browser. If you clear your caches then it should fix it.

Mike-W-99 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

Actually it’s not orientated correctly on my phone (iPhone with safari)

OP Max Hangs 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Checked on a fresh PC and browser...the Blue Sky image still isn't correct. Leg loops should be on the bottom edge of the pic (i.e. "POV")  :/

Thanks for the replies, all. A "rotate" option on the "edit image" page would be nice, although it's not clear why we are all seeing different orientations.

jon 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Paul, I've noticed increasingly there are photos rotated through 90°in Latest Photos - there are two in Latest Photos as we speak. Sometimes it seems like there's one a day. Sometimes they appear differently on my iPad to my laptop, sometimes not. I was going to start a thread myself but then this one appeared. Why does it happen? Is it something to do with uploading photos from phones?

Thanks.

OP Max Hangs 23 Jul 2019

IMO it's a much better image the way I describe...it looks totally crap as-is.

As to why I uploaded it...because I like it?

We can't all be master photographers. I'm sorry if you think it's crap, but that doesn't really address my issue with the photo upload functionality.

In reply to Max Hangs:

I've rotated it to the orientation you meant.

PS. Sorry if I caused offence.

Post edited at 15:56
In reply to jon:

I think the error is due to the way the server is processing, or more accurately not processing, the orientation data embedded within the image. Most of the time the photo moderators will correct the orientation before it's approved but some slip through if there's loads to process and they just go by the thumbnails.

The next dodgy one I see I'll try and get hold of the original image and do some testing on the server.

OP Max Hangs 23 Jul 2019

NP, thanks for the fix

jon 24 Jul 2019

There are four right now in latest photos...

Edit: five, I think

Post edited at 16:06
 UKC Forums 24 Jul 2019
This thread was started in the ROCKFAX forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Photography
This is the place for all discussions relating to cameras and outdoor photography. Discuss the latest digital camera or have long discussions over the merits of one of the many thousands of photographs in the UKC Photo Galleries.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to jon:

I've found the problem, the photo mods have been rotating the photos to their correct orientation but the server hasn't been regenerating all the different sized versions of the image correctly.

It should hopefully be fixed now.

The root of the problem is with how iOS saves images tbh though.

Mike-W-99 25 Jul 2019

Yes I’ve written some upload code before and some cameras (iPhone in particular) can sometimes have exit settings that don’t match the orientation. You can work around it.

tlouth7 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I had this problem with some photos I submitted a while back.  It sorted itself out after a day or so.

It's magic!

youtube.com/watch?v=SqQgDwA0BNU&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...