Photo-hosting site

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fruitbat 25 Oct 2019

As a member of a few other forums*, it's good to see pics on threads (although it's refreshing not to have any on UKC, it's enjoyable just to read) and I occasionally would like to put a pic or two on myself, leading to my questions:

1. What's the best i.e. simplest, easiest to manage photo-hosting site for use by a non-tech-savvy person like me? I've tried imgur but found it confusing; I have since read that wasn't intended for getting photos on to forums, although plenty seem to use it. Any other suggestions? I'm just after getting the photos onto the forum, not neccessarily storing all my pics on the site. This does lead on to...

2. As with almost everyone,  I take pics with my (Android) phone; what is the easiest way to move/copy the pics from the phone's store to the hosting site? 

3. What's a good way to store photos for the longer-term? Memory-stick, hosting-site or other? I guess a hosting-site carries the risk of going bust or imposing restrictions, memory-sticks may be obsolete in 10, 20 years.

*Why am asking here and not on the other forums?  Well, I know that I'll get some sensible, comprehensive answers here so I thank you all in advance and apologise for asking about things that are probably blindingly obvious to most of you.

Post edited at 11:35
 balmybaldwin 25 Oct 2019
OP Fruitbat 25 Oct 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

I should have been clearer: when I said 'other forums' I meant those other than UKC, in which threads have photos displayed within them.

From the hosting-sites that you list in your point 2, is there one which you would say is easier or simpler to use than the others? I've tried imgur and found it awkward.

Also, is it possible to set things up (an app, or a setting on the hosting site?) so that whenever I take a pic it will automatically copy to the hosting site as well as being on my phone?

Again, sorry for the numpty questions. 

balmybaldwin 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

I think it will depend on the forum you are using, some will restrict certain sites.  Of those that I use, dropbox, and google photos can be configured to automatically upload photos you take on a certain device to their service, but you will need to make the photos public before you can link to them. Drop box in particular has overall storage size restrictions (which I'm sure you can pay to expand).

You may find that some of the forum apps e.g. Tappatalk will manage file uploads for you (i.e. choose a photo from phone album and it uploads it to a service like IMgur) but I don't use these so maybe not.

ChrisJD 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

2. Hosting sites:

Flickr is easy and allows auto-upload from your phone via their phone app

Goggle Drive/Photos also easy and allows auto-upload from your phone and album sharing

3.  'Backup' is a bit tougher if you are non-tech. Google (Drive) would be the easiest.

OP Fruitbat 25 Oct 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

Will give Flickr a go, thanks for the info, just what I was after.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...