Olympus OMD Lens problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have an Olympus OMD EM10 with the pancake 14-42mmm lens that has started playing up. It uses the ring to activate the motorised zoom and although it works OK at wide angle when I zoom using the ring it goes to max straightaway but refuses to focus or fire the shutter. I have tried cleaning contacts and the manual zoom on my telephoto 40-150 works perfectly.

Anyone had similar problems? Possibly with solutions.

james mann 22 Apr 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Common fault with both this lens and the 9-18. I think that it is related to damage to a piece of internal wiring. The fault begins with problems at the upper limits of the zoom. It will get worse until complete failure. Olympus will fix it which is economical for the 9-18 if the glass is in good condition, but not for your lens which could be replaced second hand for similar money to the repair. Other m.zuiko lenses do not suffer from this issue. Have had the same fault on the 9-18 and it is bloody annoying. Lense not abused, just used.

James

JDal 22 Apr 2019

See what Luton Cameras quote, sometimes cheaper than Oly Support.

In reply to james mann:

Thanks James - that is exactly it - long end fails to focus. The pancake lens is so compact but I have never been comfortable with attaching/detaching it as I can't grip the mount directly and it strains the zoom control ring, possibly this causes the damage to the wiring. I will replace it with a manual zoom equivalent from MPB.

james mann 22 Apr 2019

As a wide prime the Samyang 12 mm f2 is hard to beat and cheap. 

James

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...